Surface 3

Discussion in 'Windows Tablets' started by teamxxlp, Apr 29, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Microsoft dropped the ball on the Surface Pro 3 by making the wrong sacrifices. The device has a smaller screen, weaker processor than the Pro 3, less RAM, and still lacks the keyboard by default. It might cost $499, but it's not going to provide the kind of performance that most users desire. Basically, it's like a tablet that's not really a laptop, even with the keyboard included compared to the Surface Pro 3, which is much more like a powerful laptop with tablet functionalities.

2. Loading...

3. Smokey

Smokey New Member

I think the surface 3 is an OK choice, but it's not a powerhouse. If you only need it for some basic stuff and nothing too intensive then it's a great option from what I've seen of reviews. I'm thinking of picking up the 4GB model, keyboard cover + stylus all for about $780, which is what I paid for my first generation iPad when it launched believe it or not :p

I would go for the Pro, but for what i need it for, I just can't justify dropping $1500-$2000 on it.

teamxxlp likes this.
  4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

I find it crazy that you have to pay $800 for a Surface 3 with the stylus and keyboard when the base model of the Surface Pro 3 costs $800 WITHOUT the keyboard cover. Microsoft is obviously moving units at a steady pace, but that markup just go get the laptop functionality is really, really annoying.

Smokey likes this.
  5. Smokey

Smokey New Member

I agree. I'm still debating on getting one tbh. I might just drop $800 on a macbook air instead... I like the idea of the stylus and touch screen and with Windows 10 i'm sure it'll be amazing, but i'm not sure if dropping $800 on basically a low-end ultrabook/high-end netbook is worth it when I can get a macbook air for around the same price with slightly better internals. I just lose the tablet & stylus/touchscreen functionality.

6. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

I'd consider waiting a couple of months to see if they drop the Surface Pro 4 announcement. It'll obviously run Windows 10, and a lot of rumors say the keyboard might finally come included. The Surface Pen is included in the Pro 3 but not the basic 3, but it's sure to come with the Pro 4. One rumor mentions a slightly lower introductory price, and that would be nice. Either way, I agree about choosing a Macbook Air over the Surface 3 with Stylus and Keyboard as extra purchases. That's a no-brainer for most people, unless touch is a necessity for them.