Stagefright bug: 950Million Android Phones affected

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoshK, Jul 27, 2015.

1. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

So I was scrolling through Facebook today and came across this article about something called stagefright on Android which apparently is affecting 950million android phones around the world. It's a bug that can be exploited by hackers which enables the hacker to send a MMS to a phone number and in some cases you don't even need to look at the notification before hackers can steal your data.

Google said they have released fixes, but I am yet to even receive Android 5.1 on my HTC.

Here's the article:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/07/27/android-text-attacks/

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

So I guess tablets aren't affected, just phones? It sounds like a pretty nasty tool for whoever designed it, especially if the recipient isn't even always aware they've received the message, and it can be deleted remotely. People who design things like this are obviously talented, and I really wish they'd use that talent for good, not bad.

IcyBC likes this.
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

"People who design things like this are obviously talented, and I really wish they'd use that talent for good, not bad." I always wonder about this, and that is: why they spent that much time hacking and planning viruses on other people's computers and cell phones? What do they get out of it? Why can they do good, and not evil?

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I think in some cases, they are looking for the financial information to sell to those who deal in that type of data, and possibly the same with the personal data, which could leave people vulnerable to blackmail. There is certainly a market for credit card numbers and other financial data. It would be great to see a collaboration of hackers who would work to prevent breaches such as this. From what I've heard, some hack to find vulnerabilities, then sell that information to the firms, which enables the companies to patch the vulnerabilities, but also encourages hacking. I'd prefer if companies would employ in house employees to hack their own systems to find vulnerabilities, rather than leaving it to outsiders who may or may not be able to be trusted with the data.

IcyBC likes this.
  6. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think it only affects phones/devices that can accept MMS so anything that has a celluar network connected. So I assume some android tablets could be affected if they have a SIM card in that is connected to a cell network

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

You made fantastic point there! Hack their own system and hack it all the way to improve. But to go after innocent people should be jailed and penalized a large sum of money! The law should be tougher on this issue.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Thanks, @JoshK, that's comforting. My tablet doesn't have a sim card and isn't connected to a cellular network, yay.

Thanks @IcyBC I like the idea of having trusted in house personnel searching for vulnerabilities that can then be addressed. That way, our information is more secure, as well as the company's proprietary information being protected. Governments should be doing this as well, based on how many hacks there've been of their systems.

9. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I wasn't really aware that there's such thing as stagefright bug going on around lately. I guess everyone should be more careful now, specially those people who do mobile banking.

10. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Looked into it a bit more and got a notification through from my AntiVirus (Avast), there is a way you can prevent this from happening (Therefore meaning you actually need to open the message up for anything to happen). To help prevent this from happening you have to disable "Auto Fetch", which means it will not automatically fetch images until you tell it to.