So would you still buy the S5?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by pwarbi, Jun 26, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

So your phone contract is ready for an upgrade. You currently have the iPhone 4 but you want to switch over to android. The deals you have been given for the S6 and the S6 EDGE are too expensive, so would you still buy an S5?

Even though the phone might not be too of the range anymore when it comes to Samsung, put up against most other devices, it can still hold its own.

So would you? Is the galaxy S5 still worth buying now?

2. Loading...

3. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I guess if I really wanted to stick to the Galaxy series, I probably would. But for someone that wishes to look at other brands, the OnePlus series has piqued my interest. Stunningly designed phones with some great specifications. Serious Android lovers are adopting these phones in droves but they don't quite have mass appeal yet. Since the phone carrier I use doesn't even know that the OnePlus series exists, I would probably just settle for a Galaxy S5.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The person the OP was written about was adamant they wanted a Samsung and with the S6 and S6 EDGE being more than her budget would allow, the choice was either the S5 or paying more than she wanted for one of the S6 models.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Well just a quick update as the person in question as had the device now for a few weeks and the verdict is it's the best phone they have had. They are more than happy with the handset so for others that are contemplating choosing this over the more expensive S6, then it's definitely something to consider.

6. Katie Miller

Katie Miller New Member

I think the Samsung Galaxy 5S is a great phone. I would go with the 5S and not pay more for the 6S or Edge. I have had mine for almost a year, upgraded from the 3S. I love that this thing is waterproof. I have 2 small children so there is always spills and mishaps.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I am not really into this hype about phones, and if being given another chance to buy a cellphone, yes, I would still buy the S5. I think it is a great phone and has pretty decent features. I would definitely be fine with it.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Well there's no doubt that the S5 is still a great phone, and people are still buying them as an alternative to the more expensive S6.

Sometimes you have to judge what new features on a flagship device you'd actually use and if you don't need the new features, I'd be tempted to go for the best price, rather than the newest.

9. run2live

run2live New Member

I just bought a S5 as an upgrade (I jumped over the S4). When I was researching the difference between the S5 and S6, I found the lack of waterproofing on the S6 standard model to be a deal breaker for me. Plus, the S6 takes away the option to remove the battery from the phone as a user, which reminds me too much of iPhone. So far, I'm happy with my purchase.

10. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

I upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to a S5 and would say that it was a little disappointing. Not because the phone wasn't good but because it wasn't that much of an improvement over the S3. With that said, I think that they only incrementally improve the phone while attaching some new gimmick or features because the S3 was great. If you're familiar with Android phones and don't have a specifically need the features of the S6, I believe that the S5 is still worth buying. It makes a great music player in the shower and would last you up to a day and a half. I've read that the higher resolution of the S6 will drain the battery quickly and that it's non-removable. It may not be a problem if you have a car charger or if you're always close to an outlet, but that's definitely a deal breaker for me.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Like I've said in a previous post, the S5 is certainly an alternative if you're not concerned with the features the S6 as to offer.

The price is also becoming a major factor now aswell, as the S6 gets better established, the price of the S5 is starting to drop considerably.