Selling Old Phones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

How do you guys feel about selling your old phones? I know that there is a ton of places that you can sell, but how much is your phone actually worth? Most of the time when you are looking to sell your phone it's at least a year old. By that time, there is usually a newer phone already out. To me, it just seems like a waste to try and sell your phone to one of those sites. The only place that I would sell would be eBay. But, is it worth it to sell, when you can keep the phone and get a new one? I like keeping my old phones in case something happens with the new one that I got. That way I won't be out of a phone. What do you guys think about selling your phones?

2. Loading...

3. GavinGimbo

GavinGimbo Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It really depends. I've seen people who bought a flagship device (like Galaxy S5) for $600 and then wanting to sell it after 6 months for an iPhone 6. Now, the second hand market for a Galaxy S5 is $400, a brand new one is pretty much $420 as well. As you can see, people will instead buy a new Galaxy S5 instead of the used one. So selling your phone in this type of scenario, you're basically loosing a lot of money.

However, if you're going to upgrade to a newer flagship device, it's better to sell the old one you have. Unless it's a mid-range phone, then you can keep it. Personally, I don't need two phones, so selling is what I'll do.

If you're looking to sell or buy second hand devices, I strongly recommend Swappa. It's much more better than eBay or Craigslist.

4. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Realistically, I would get a very small amount for my phone, much less than what I would want if I wanted to sell it.

The phones I've had I try to keep them as mainly a back-up and because I just can't bear to let them go. I know what I'm gonna say may sound weird, but a phone is with you pretty much all the time and it's almost like a friend or a companion. That's why it's difficult to part with my phones.

5. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I do the same thing that you do. I like keeping my phones so that I know if mine breaks, I have something else that I can use as a backup. If you don't have a backup and your phone breaks, then what are you going to do? Your service provider might not replace it for you and then you have to go out and buy a new one. It just makes more sense to do that. I honestly think it's the smartest thing that you can do.

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think it's a personal preference. If you can afford to keep it and have an attachment to it, why not? You could still potentially use it, at least for wifi internet, if nothing else. I've personally sold mine, because money always seems to be scarce, and new phones and devices are expensive, so if I can make some money, I will, and eBay is the way to go, unless it's in high demand, then you could probably also sell it via Facebook local sales groups and get a decent amount for it.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Personally, I would not buy any used electronic, including the refurbish ones, unless I know for sure by someone I trust, a family or close friend. I also keep my old phones for back up since selling them isn't worth the hassle for me.

I have seen people selling their used devices on eBay as parts, but I don't know how to fix anything like that to bother :)

8. llfsa

llfsa New Member

I always sell the stuff I don't use mainly because I don't like having potential money sitting around. I do keep one, mind you, VERY old phone in case anything happens to my 1+1. But other than that I think it's a waste of money and space.

9. Aquar

Aquar New Member

I pretty much feel the same as you. I don't like keeping much stuff (I have enough as it is so if I'm not using it and it has no sentimental value, I'm almost always going to try and sell it. The obvious exception is things that might be worth something someday like my Marilyn Monroe doll). It just sits there cluttering my room to me. I sold my Android phone because I got tired of how crappy it ran. I did pay 100 dollars for it but it wasn't worth the trouble of trying to sell it to a random person for more money so I just sold it for 5 dollars at the yard sale. Who knows if I would have gotten more anyway on Amazon or Ebay and then you have to factor in shipping cost. Now if it was an Iphone or something like that then I probably would have tried to sell it for more but certain brands just aren't worth much after a while.

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, that's true. I mean my family usually keeps a couple around because you never know what can happen. I don't think that we have many though. If I only had to worry about a phone for myself then I would only keep one like you. It does seem like a waste if you keep more than one. It's money sitting around your house like you said. I'm sure that once my sister and I get our new phones one of us will sell our phones.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Since I have a big family I give them my old phones. They are not that tech savvy so they don't splurge money on phones. I never get around to selling them, even though I would make a fortune if I did.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

We do the same thing in my family. When the Galaxy s3 first came out, I got it for Christmas. I had it a couple months before I wanted a new one, so when I got a new phone I gave that one to my mom. My mom doesn't care if she has a smart phone or not, which is why she took that one. My sister was also the same way until she got older. Then she decided that she has to have the best phone that they have out there.

13. snowmanpoint88

snowmanpoint88 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have never sold an old phone. I only get a new phone when my old one is completely destroyed - if there is no hope of fixing it. I don't upgrade for the sake of being "in". I bought an Android phone before though because I got my first paycheck. I just gave my old Symbian phone to my mother.

14. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I mean I think that's a good thing. I know that so many people only care about the newest phones that are coming out. I mean to me, that just seems dumb. All the iPhones are made the same way. The only thing that the new iPhones have that the old ones don't is Apple Pay and the size. I think that the size is one of the main reasons why so many people want that phone. I remember when companies were making phones as small as possible. Now, they are making phones as big as they can get away with. I'm sure that people will have phones the size of the iPad Mini's soon enough.

15. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

When you have an old phone you have to really ask yourself, "is anyone actually going to buy this"? I would think not most of the times and it's really not worth it to sell on ebay, because it could show up dead on arrival. So what I usually do is just leave it in the drawer and wait for an opportunity to give it to someone who really needs it. If that never happens then I just give it to my nieces or nephews to play with or activate it, if their parents allow it.

16. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If it's a super old phone, there's probably no market for it, but many people upgrade their phone every year or two, and some upgrade even more often. There are people who still use flip phones, and have no desire for a smart phone (I have 2 friends & a family member like this), and they hate change, so don't want to upgrade.

When their old phones die, they are more inclined to buy the same type again, or one that could be a step up, but certainly not the latest model. Not everyone is into technology, and some consider it a necessary evil, so they'd rather stick with something they know how to use, than buy new and have a potentially steep learning curve. Some people are intimidated by smart phones with all the bells and whistles they have no need for, and won't use all of the extra features, so buying one would be a waste.

17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I am not really into selling my old stuffs. I kind of romanticize everything and my cellphone has some sort of sentimental value to me so I don't think I would ever try to sell it. Aside from that, my phone is not even worth a huge amount of money so I would just probably keep it.

18. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 New Member

Believe it or not, there are people who will snap up used phones for a variety of purposes. Someone bought my 3 year old Droid Bionic off of me on eBay for $35. In fact the phone itself wasn't even working properly and the memory card was damaged - but he just bought it for parts. I've heard of people buying these cheap used phones just so they can run a variety of money making application on them, such as those apps that pay you to watch commercials and other videos. The just have a bunch of these zombie phones sitting around gathering up credits. Personally I wouldn't have the patience to do something like that just to make some easy money, but some people do.

The other thing is they may be using these phones for some other questionable activities, or perhaps to do some testing which could possibly permanently damage the device, such as trying to hack them or modify the hardware in them.

I don't mind selling my phone off, especially if it's more than 2 years old - by then you won't even get $100 for it used, so it's better that someone else out there get some extra use out of it before it winds up in a landfill. If I make $30 or so off of it, that's $30 more dollars I didn't have previously.