Purchasing the iPhone from another Country

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Miaka_M, May 10, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've mentioned once before that I am with a phone carrier that doesn't have a package with an iphone which means that if I want to get an iphone, I need to purchase an unlocked one from the store and we know how expensive they can be. I was going to purchase the iphone somewhere other than my country because the taxes are too high here. Then I get news that iphones work depending on the region. Which means that my phone won't work properly if use another country's carrier. This is very unfortunate and this is but another way that Apple is able to control the sale of their products.

What do you think about this? Are all phones like this as well?

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

What? That's not a way that Apple controls its products; it's something that every single manufacturer does for its smartphones. 3G and 4G LTE radios and antennas take up space in a smartphone, and it's impossible to include them all in a smartphone. Every region utilizes different bands, and it makes no sense for a company to spend extra money providing international radios/antennas at an added cost when users aren't going to take advantage of those extra hardware inclusions.

4. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Oh? Do they all do that? I never noticed. I have purchased phones in other countries (specifically, I bought a nokie and a sony many years ago) and they worked fine. I wonder if this is something that they have implemented as of lately? I agree that they shouldn't do this anyways, its not like they're losing money. Its more like, they can lose customers.

5. MikeOh

MikeOh New Member

I guess it depends on which country are you from and where do you want to buy one. I think it's hard for people in the US to buy and use iPhones that's being sold in other countries. But in my country, iPhone is very expensive (if it's not associated with a contract) so people buy it from either Singapore or UAE and it works pretty well. Just check compatibility issues with your country and the country where you want to buy.

6. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I purchased an iPhone when I visited Dubai a few years ago. Not only was the iPhone far cheaper than purchasing it from my home country, but it also worked flawlessly. It was something I was worried about but the salesperson assured me that folks from my country can use phones and other electronics purchased in Dubai. I don't know if this applies to travelers from the United States or other regions though, it's best to ask before purchasing any product.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I was about to say that I wouldn't, personally, buy any phone from China! Even though it is cheap, it won't work right for me here in the US. I bought two from them years ago, and not sooner than a couple of months they kicked the bucket.

I would check the bandwidth and the compatibility of your country with the one you want to buy the phone from and see where it will lead you. I hope it works out for you!