Product placement in TV shows ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hosewalker, Jul 13, 2015.

1. hosewalker

hosewalker New Member

I noticed while watching House Of Cards that the Blackberry and Windows Phone were used by the characters. The cumbersome us of the devices within the episode makes me think that the usage of the phone was product placement and not just a part of the plot. What do you think of product placement and what interesting phone product placement have you seen ?.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

I don't mind product placement when it's done correctly. Arnold Schwarzenegger drinking Coca-Cola after blowing up a bus full of nuns? Great. Arnold Schwarzenegger speaking about how an iPhone changed his life? Bad.

The funniest product placement I've seen is in The Equalizer (2014) with Denzel Washington. He was using a computer program to hack into cameras all over the city. They clearly and deliberately hold on a Sony Vaio laptop for about 10 seconds. I was watching with my brother and as Denzel was hacking away, I turned to my brother and asked, "How does he do that?" My brother replies, "I don't know. Standard Sony software, I guess."

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think anybody can forget the car manufacturer product placements in the James Bond films. Bond's version of the DB6 probably contributed into making Aston Martin the well known car maker it is today.

Also not necessarily a product placement as it's not shown a great deal, but in every Harry Potter film when they show Privet Drive, every car there is the same model of a Vauxhall.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

There are a lot of product placements in shows. I even noticed that in one of my favorite shows - Arrow - the newest Surface tablets are featured and characters use it everytime. They also only use Samsung phones.
    I don't think it's a bad thing. It doesn't bother me and it doesn't influence the show in a negative way.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

As @ApexBlue mentioned, I don't mind if it's done correctly, either unobtrusively, or flagrantly, so it's obvious what they're doing, or barely seen, so it's not deceptive. Speaking of deceptive, have y'all seen The Joneses, and if so, what did y'all think? I thought it was a good movie, but a very disturbing one.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Me too! If product placements in the show is done tastefully then I have no problem with it, as it flows so much better. Commercial about actors having a conversation with Siri, was just turning my stomach every time, no matter how well known the actor is!

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Eww, yes, I also don't care for those ads. Nor did I care for the older ads where the actor would talk to the droid, although I found them a little less narcissistic, just mainly nonsensical.

IcyBC likes this.
  9. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Interesting observation! I'm a big fan of korean dramas and I can notice that they often are using Samsung Galaxy phones, which I suppose that they are promoting, and it actually work! It looks really cute and cool on the actresses/actors that I really want to buy one now.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Val

Val New Member

I've realized that shows and movies nowadays use product placement instead of the classic one-minute advertisement. I, in all honesty, do not mind product placement. I understand that the entertainment business and corporations are partners and that is how they make money. Especially now, product placement is a bit more natural. You'll see the characters drinking Pepsi, you'll see them using iPhones, you'll see them using FedEx. It's not in your face like normal advertising but gets the job done.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I'd prefer more product placement, as long as children understand what is going on, to the typical glut of commercials that periodically takes place. It seems we watch just as many commercials, and the providers make more money now that even, via advertising dollars, yet we still pay quite a bit for what we watch.

12. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Have you ever seen on some adverts where they try to minimise product placements? For example ads for insurance or breakdown companies often feature cars but the badges of the cars are always taken off. I've seen it with phones and computers too. The phones are clearly some sort of smartphone and you can see the housing of where the badge once was on it.

I realise it's to save money so they don't have to pay royalties, but I find it pretty interesting to see all the same.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I have seen that, and I've wondered if it was done to increase interest. I find myself sometimes more curious about the product when the logo/name is hidden, especially if it's something very attractive, such as a sexy car or sleek cell phone or tablet.