Please sir, Can I have some more?

Discussion in 'Android Tablets' started by pwarbi, Apr 15, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Currently I'm on my third android tablet and I have to admit that having a couple of Ipads in the past, I wouldnt dream of switching back. BUT...while there is various screen sizes and sizes of internal storage, SD card expansion slots, you name it you can have it, the one thing that i have always struggled with is RAM.

As we all probably know, this is a pretty important part of any computer, not just a tablet device and at the moment I'm struggling to find any that have more than 2GB. Am i just looking in the wrong place or is this a standard maximum size for android? Eventually I was hoping to get rid of the PC and laptop as I now do everything on the tablet but at the moment, especially when it comes to applications such as Skype I'm really struggling.

So what's the best tablet when it comes to RAM? Has anybody got any expansion ideas or can anybody recommend any tablets that you might own that will do the job?

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    What tablets are you currently using/own and what sort of workload do you need from them that you need more than 2GB RAM?

I have 2 android tablets and both work fine for what I use them for....
    7" is an Nvidia Shield Tab and I have a 10" Asus Transformer 103C w/ keyboard dock.

I also own a 128GB 1st gen iPad Air. :)

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Aswell as having the PC desk top, laptop and smart phones, I only mainly use the tablets for streaming movies and sports events, it's just easier than booting up the other computers and the smartphone screen is too small so...

And this unfortunately is where I tend to get the low memory message.

Now I know obviously that a tablet isn't going to be anywhere near a PC or laptop in regards to specifications, I just think more RAM options should be available, and especially at reasonable prices now that the tablets have been around for quite a while.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Industry Post

Industry Post New Member

Apr 23, 2015
    I know the NVidia Shield is really good for gaming. It's supposed to have really good parts in it to support high end games. I would check that out if I were you.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Male
    Hello pwarbi,

You've hit a wall that many other tech savvy people have hit too. Sadly, unless you pour thousands of dollars into an Android device, they don't sell them with very much more RAM. When I was looking for a tablet to laptop convertible PC, I ran into the same problem. Sure, they can come with 16gbs of ram, but that's only if you buy the $1400 Microsoft tablets. They sort of couple it together so that instead of buying a small high-end device, you spend two to three hundred dollars more on a bigger low-end device that comes with more ram. If you're unwilling to use a phone that has more ram, then I believe you might be out of luck. Perhaps a windows tablet would remedy your situation, but it does come with the problem of being a less friendly PC without a mouse and keyboard.

7. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Unfortunately they cost a fortune as well! They are really nice tablets which are designed for gaming etc but they cost a fortune which many people may not simply wish to splash out in all that cash.

But as the above poster has said, there are limitations with android tablets and one of them is the RAM, and unless you spend hundreds then you will find it hard to get anything more than 2GB unfortunately.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    RAM does seem to be one of the key factors that people need to look at when they're deciding on getting a new tablet device. A lot will make the mistake of going for the biggest storage but for me that doesn't really matter as much these days.

Cloud storage is becoming more and more popular so I think spending as much money as you can for a device with bigger RAM is more important than getting a tablet with a lot of storage.

9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 17, 2015
    Female
    Yes, but Cloud storage also has a limit, @pwarbi unless you upgrade and pay them if what I understand is correct! I kept getting notice that my Cloud storage is nearly full so please upgrade notice. I would just love to have a slot for extra storage with the SD card on my iPhone then I can store what I want on it without all of these hassles.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. sabb87

sabb87 New Member

Jul 15, 2015
    Male
    I really enjoy the Android tablets. The question I have is "What one would be best for gaming?" And how far have they come with gaming on tablets?

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Cloud storage does usually have a limit, but if you open an account with different ones, I'm sure you'd have enough free space for everything that you need to save.

If you'd rather just have the one account, the price of the annual subscription isn't a massive amount to pay.

12. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 17, 2015
    Female
    That would have been a wise thing to do when I first got my devices! Is it too late now to have different account. Both my iPhone and iPad are under one account and the reason I did it is to have everything on both devices..Oh well, like you said, it isn't a massive amount to pay if needed to!