Plastic Back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I know that the iPhone 5c's have a plastic back, but do you like it? I have an iPhone 5c and I love that the back is plastic. The reason being that it's harder for me to break it. When I had the iPhone 4 I was always cracking the back of my phone. Then I would have to go and replace the back. I've dropped this phone a couple times, and nothing too bad has happened to it. I don't know how well the other iPhones are made, but I'm happy that I got this one. So, I'm wondering how you all like the plastic back of the phone vs the metal? And if you do or don't like it, then why?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. teamxxlp
      Replies:
      Views:

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

While I don't think there's anything wrong with a phone being plastic, depending on how good it's made of course, I still prefer a phone to be made of metal.

While it doesn't make any difference to how the device rubs, I think metal gives it a more premium look and aesthetics of a phone can be important to a lot of people.

4. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I think that's one reason why people love the Apple phones. The way that they look. I would also rather have the metal phone, but I sadly wasn't able to get it. My next phone will be though. I'll get the new iPhones that are coming out soon. I'm hoping that they are made well. But, I'm not sure how well those 5c's are made. Just because I have heard a lot of bad things about them. I have one, and I'm not a huge fan of it. I would rather have the iPhone 5 than this phone. Which is one reason why they are so cheap, they didn't sell well. Apple wasn't able to make the sales that they wanted with this phone, I heard.

5. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

You know to be honest, I don't know what type of back my iPhone 5 has since I always buy the Otter case to put over it for protection. I don't think it is matter much if the back is metal or plastic though. The iPhone or any smart phone nowadays is so expensive not to protect it from accidental dropping or something else.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think the 5c filled a gap in the market that Apple hadn't delved into before so while the sales might not have been as high as they expected, it did give people another option that wasn't there before.

7. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I heard that happened. I mean it stinks that they didn't get good sales on it because now I doubt that they will make an iPhone 6c. That would be another phone that they would be able to make more money from. Honestly, I have it and it's not that good. So I'm hoping that they don't just go out and make the iPhone 6c because I doubt that they will make much money from it. It's weird that they didn't make much money though because I see people with them all the time.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's the thing though when Apple say the sales where disappointing, they're not saying they didn't sell well, they did, just not as manyvad what was expected.

Now I'm not sure if that was a flaw with the advertising campaign or they had just been too optimistic with the sales projection, either way as long as they learn from that mistake, I think we might see a 6c becoming available if enough people want it.

9. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I think that if enough people want it, they will make the 6c. I have already heard rumors that they will be making one. I mean I didn't even really want the phone, and would have gone with another one. I don't know if more people also felt the same way, but if they did then we might not see many sales with that iPhone. I think that they should just stick with the 6s and not make a 6c. That is just what I believe though.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I can see where your coming from and the C variant of the iPhone 5 was a new idea that Apple came up with, and I imagine they'll do the same with the 6.

I'm not sure they'll carry on with it though for much longer, I think that when a new generation of iPhone comes out, however long off that is, I'd imagine they'd revert back to just the 2 models again.

11. sbatz72

sbatz72 Member

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have dropped my iPhone 5c a few times also. I tried the iPhone products with the metal backings and did not like them either. In the past all I had were phone with a plastic back and I never broke them. I really love my iPhone 5c.

12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

@sbatz72 Yeah, it makes me nervous when I drop mine that something will happen to it. I mean plastic isn't always the best to drop which is why I now have mine in a Lifeproof case. Oh, that stinks that you didn't like those because those are pretty good phones, I have heard that they are pretty durable. That's good that you like your phone. I just wish that I had the metal back because I think that it would be better than the plastic. Plus sometimes I have some technical issues with it.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

A lot of people don't take as much care of their phones as what they should either, I for one am guilty of that. When it's a new device you ten to be extremely careful, but after a few months your back to you old ways of sticking em in your back pockets and chucking them on the side.

When you look at how much abuse the device takes over the course of its life, it's no wonder that they get broken and need repairing every so often.

14. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Oh yeah, I have to agree with you. I know that I'm always like yes, I'm going to be super careful with this phone then a month later I'm dropping it again. I do try to get a good case though for mine. I have the Lifeproof case right now, and I have to say that it's been able to really save my phones life. I don't know what I would have done without it.

15. linguini

linguini New Member

I love the greasy light feel of plastic on my hand I think that is just the way should be it works perfectly well with the shape of the rounded edges of the phone altogether. I think plastic is better than metal; I know I would not be able to break it based on experience but I wonder how a metal would hold up to the challenge when you accidentally sit on it or drop it.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I personally hate the plastic back of the iPhone 5C, simply because it doesn't give that premium feeling all of the other iPhones have. Apple devices are supposed to target the Business users, and this phone doesn't do that at all.

17. linguini

linguini New Member

Apple is doing a branding strategy. They are making products not only for one specific customer in mind but they are targeting each and every sector in the market. This phone in question is supposed to be affordable or what would other consider as cheap but in reality it does not come cheap.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

That is why I think this phone concept will never succeed for them. Their phones are pricy just because people with money will buy them to show their wealth, but a regular consumer will not buy this phone because they can find much better phones on the Android side for the same price.

19. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I have to agree with you. I also don't like the feel of it. I think that all the other phones just look way more appealing than the iPhone 5c. Yeah, that is true, so I'm wondering why they would have made that phone in the first place. It just totally stands out against the phones that they have made.