PC doesn't detect Samsung Galaxy S2?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by geobingshoot, Jun 2, 2015.

1. geobingshoot

geobingshoot New Member

Whenever I try to connect my phone to the PC through USB nothing appears in My Computer. Charging works just fine but otherwise it's not detecting it. A solution I found it to disable and enable the device again in the Device Manager but I would like it if it worked in one go. Any ideas on how to fix this? Anyone else has this problem as well and found some way to fix it?
    I would use DropBox but I like the old USB media transfer way more, I find it easier.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by tarverten, Jun 2, 2015

3. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Member

This is for the Galaxy S, but it should be the same...

From "Applications"--> SETTINGS--> scroll to bottom of list -->ABOUT PHONE --> USB SETTINGS
    and touch MASS STORAGE
    Now plug the phone into PC/laptop with the supplied USB lead, the USB symbol will then appear on the phone screen, top left.

Touch the symbol and a grey flap will appear along the top of the screen, slide the flap down the screen and touch the USB CONNECTED box
    Touch MOUNT on the dialogue box which appears.

Now go to your laptop and open Windows Explorer ("Windows Key" plus "E")
    The phone should show in the left pane as a new drive letter.
    If you have a memory card inserted, it will also show as a new drive letter.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

To add to the comment above,

KIES also contains the drivers that should enable the phone to be recognized as a removable drive in Windows so you can use drag and drop. However you need to select the PC storage option on your phone to use this mode.
    Connect your phone with the USB cable [make sure KIES is not set to autostart when the phone is connected]. Look at the phones screen [the top drag down menu] and there should be an option to use in "mass storage mode" [or similar]. This is the option to select to for the SD card to appear as a drive in MyComputer.

Open Device Manager and check the relevant drivers are being installed for the S2. With the phone connected in mass storage mode you should see entries in DeviceManager for:

ADB Interface: Samsung Android ADB
    Modems: Samsung Android USB Modem
    Portable Devices: Galaxy S2
    Ports [COM,LPT] : SAMSUNG Android USB Diagnostic Serial Port (WDM)

If you expand the USB section at the bottom of the page there should also be an entry for the phone
    similar to: SAMSUNG Android USB Composite Device

If you are seeing all these entries in Device Manager with all the drivers showing as "enabled" [no warning triangles] then the phone is correctly connected in mass storage mode and it should be appearing in MyComputer. If not then you should re-install the latest version of KIES which will contain these drivers.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I think it could be either a USB detection problems within your PC or it is your phones USB that is connected into your PC.

7. anurag

anurag New Member

Is the USB jack working fine? If the above provided solutions don't work, then try reinstalling the drivers. Or you could try the same on another pc.

8. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

In the USB settings for any Android device, the checkbox for MTP needs to be checked or the device won't be recognized for the computer. This means that it's going to charge without bringing up file transfer and other options. There are a few different tools and apps that can supposedly help with this, but all you really have to do is modify the USB settings for that device on the device itself rather than on the computer.

9. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Sounds like it could be a driver problem, I've often experienced this with different phones in the past. In any case, you just try to get hold of new drivers online and see if it works. Also check your cables but also your usb in case they are damaged. An old laptop of mine had a faulty usb jack that created plenty of problems for me until I got it fixed.