Owning an Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfab, May 1, 2015.

1. jfab

jfab Member

Anyone here owns the latest iPod Touch? I'm curious why would you buy it when you already have an iPhone or did you buy it instead of an iPhone?

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Some people like having a dedicated music device, and that's why they'd buy an iPod Touch whether or not they owned an iPhone or another smartphone. I know one person that owns a Touch and an iPhone 6, which seems odd to most people. The average person isn't going to purchase both devices or choose the Touch over an actual iPhone because it makes no sense for 99% of people.

4. jfab

jfab Member

Right, because I'm one of the 99% who doesn't think it makes sense. But I think I get that in case their phone was lost, then they still have a back-up gadget.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have an iPod Touch that I use all the time, but I'm mostly at home. Cell phones don't work well where I live anyway, so I didn't see the point in paying a huge cell phone bill, when I can use the touch via wifi for most everything I need. I can check my mail, play games, use social media, run one of my shops, and many other things on the touch.

6. jfab

jfab Member

I supposed it's a really good alternative fro owning a phone. I'll just stick to this one.

7. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I've actually heard that it can be tweaked to work like a phone via wifi, and I think there are apps that enable users to make calls and text (again, via wifi), but I have a home phone, so I haven't bothered checking into them.

8. jfab

jfab Member

It's true that it can also already work like a phone. Which is why I often wonder why would some still want to have an iPhone plus this.

9. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Honestly, I wouldn't buy an ipod touch if I had an iphone, they do basically the same thing and ipods have apps like the magic jack, that allow you to make phone calls all over North America for free. Although I know that storing music will take up a lot of space so I'd get an ipod just because of that, but I wouldn't buy the ipod touch, I'd probably just get a nano.

I did buy my younge brother the latest ipod touch since he doesn't have a phone and my first apple product was an ipod, so I wanted to carry on the tradition. :)

10. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I definitely wouldn't buy the two together. Now, if they improved the camera on the iPod Touch, that could change, because I tend to take lots of pictures. I use my Touch more for internet and games than for music. It saves me from coming upstairs and sitting at the computer when I need to check on a listing or sale in my shops, or eBay auctions, and other things of that nature. I also do a lot of marketing via social media on it.

11. AlexKabam

AlexKabam New Member

The iPod touch is significantly less expensive. I love being able to use the touch without having the burden of a phone or the constant pay for cell service. I like the ability to tap into the Apple market and framework, and integrate my iPad with a personal device without having to pay for cellular service.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I think that is a true statement and basically sums up my experience. I don't think owning an iPhone is all that necessary when you've got the production of iPods while you can get a simple phone or whatnot, it's just an alternative, cheaper perhaps.

13. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I have a friend who is very non-technical. She's got a smart phone, but doesn't really know how to use it. I had to set it up so she would receive her emails on her phone. She's got an iPod touch, and loves it, so apparently, at least to her, the iPod is easier to manage and use than her smart phone with all the bells and whistles.

14. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

That's so true.

15. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I was reading an older magazine I had lying around, from 2012, and I they were recommending the iPod Touch as their favorite 'new' accessory, to keep them organized. They listed ways they use it. I don't recall all they mentioned, but it was related to working around the home, organization, and I believe listening to podcasts as they worked around the house, as well as taking pictures of items to sell.

I've been using a touch since around 2007 or 2008, I think, so I was surprised they mentioned it as new, but I guess they meant they had just encountered it. In addition to all the other ways I use mine, I keep track of my earnings on there, so I know when to expect payment for jobs that don't pay right away.

16. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

17. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The iPod Touch does feel like a lost cause. While I've never owned one, I did borrow one from a friend and tried it out for a couple of days. It's a decent device but something that is not quite suited for today's mobile device era. It's better to go for either an iPad or iPhone and get that add level of versatility and functionality without wasting your money on this device. It's way too limited for my needs and I'm sure for many other folks as well.

18. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My son has an iPod Touch before he even has the iPhone! He uses the iPod touch to listen to music and whatever hea was doing then. He has always a fan of Apple products and finally got his iPhone. I still see him using the iPod touch to text his friend when the iPhone was out of battery.

Normally, it is sill to carry both, or have both, but in some cases, it just happens that way!

19. JayWifi

JayWifi New Member

I have always been upgrading my apple devices over the years and I started from just a iPod Shuffle. From the shuffle, I went onto a Nano and then finally got a iTouch. It used to be amazing and revolutionary back then but now since I got my first iPhone, I won't go back to iTouch. It is great for the features that it has but it doesn't compete with iPhone both hardware and feature wise. Still if you're on a budget, the iTouch is a nice little device that is worth the money.

20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I own an IPod touch 5G and I use it all the time to check social networks and internet related stuff, and I didn't really bought it instead of an Iphone because I own a crappy phone to just send text messages and do phone calls, but it has been a good experience for me because is not a phone but I use it more than my "real" phone and I'm pretty satisfied this way.

21. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Right now I don't have one just because there isn't a point. I have an iPhone so I just put all my music on that. I think that the main use of them is for people who dont' have smart phones. I mean there are still young children out there who can't get an iPhone. That's why they are still making them. I remember when my sister use to use my iPod all the time because she didn't have a phone. It's just easier on the parents so that they don't have to pay for another phone.