Original Droid Razr Maxx: My First Real Smartphone

Discussion in 'Moto' started by teamxxlp, Apr 24, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Well, technically, I had a Blackberry Storm 2 and Samsung Galaxy S1 (which wasn't actually called that) before then. Still, the Droid Razr Maxx was the first smartphone I had that ran Android 4.0, and let's ignore Gingerbread and whatever Android 3.0 was called.

Great device. Strong performance, incredible battery life. I actually could run that device for a few days with regular use and not have to charge it.

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The battery life of recent phones certainly can't be compared to what it used to be like! I remember being able to not charge my device for a couple of days, now I'm barely able to get to the end of the working day.

4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Well, it's all of that extra processing power. Data services and HD screens are what kills today's smartphones compared to regular cell phones from the past. Sub-720p screens coupled with 2G/3G made for a long-lasting device, and the lack of processing power helped keep devices alive. Older cell phones and even the first few smartphones could last days on a single charge. That's not going to happen with today's smartphones until battery tech evolves. There's no sign of that happening yet as far as longevity, though quick charging is a nice feature.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It would be nice to think that there's a compromise to be had, maybe a little less technology (some of which we don't need anyway) can be cut out and the life of the battery can be prolonged.

It seems people have now just accepted the fact that they need to carry a charger around with them and top us as and when they can.