Nokia Gearing Up For A Flagship Release in 2016

Discussion in 'Other Android Phones' started by teamxxlp, May 12, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

...at least that's what the rumors say, and I have to believe them to some degree. The mandate from Microsoft to not manufacture smartphones under the Nokia name expires in 2016, and Nokia could announce a device fairly quickly when that year starts. A lot of rumors say the company is preparing to get back into the smartphone game, though it would pass manufacturing off to another company by licensing its name and the device to that manufacturer. We'll see.

2. Loading...

3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

We shall see. Hopefully app availability will improve by then. Right now that is the biggest draw back in my opinion. Developers need incentive to make apps for these phones.

4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

The biggest mistake of companies like Amazon and Nokia is their attempt to foster their own app stores. Microsoft has made the mistake of not getting enough support, too, but the future looks a lot brighter for Microsoft in mobile compared to non-Android and non-iOS options. I hope Nokia does the smart thing and makes a truly incredible device with Android rather than some other OS.

5. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

It's not so much their own app store being the issue as the polices they set for their app stores. The restrictions placed on developers are not always realistic and don't do much to foster interest in the phones. Oddly enough most of the apps I'm missing on my Nokia are available for Amazon phones. It is very frustrating.

teamxxlp likes this.
  6. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Oh. That's really bad when an app store is missing apps that the Amazon Appstore has. I'd consider that unacceptable even. Every manufacturer wants to jump into the game and launch its own app store, but none of them go about doing so the right way. It's a cash grab for these companies more than anything else, which results in app stores that are lacking what many consider core apps. o_O

7. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

You have it backwards. Amazon store hit the ground running with more of the popular apps than Windows Store has ever had.

8. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

I didn't say or imply that Windows Store started out with more apps than Amazon App Store or had any edge over it. I said it has the brighter future. Amazon's app marketplace as well as Microsoft's lack hundreds of apps that would be considered core apps to Android and iOS users. That's not going to change anytime soon for Amazon, but Microsoft is already implementing a simple system to port over apps from the Play Store and Apple Appstore.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

They're definitely going to come back to Android in 2016 and frankly I'm curious about what they're going to do. Nokia is a great company that produced quality phones over the years but they need to have some interesting features to compete with the top companies nowadays.

10. MikeOh

MikeOh New Member

I really do hope that Nokia comes up with something big come 2016. I grew up using those Nokia phones but I never really was not interested in their Windows phones. It's such a shame that Nokia, once the might mobile phone maker is no longer at part with its competitors.