Modding Android Phones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Susimi, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've heard a lot about people modding their Android phones with custom launchers & custom icon packs, stuff like that.

I was just wondering if anyone here did it or has tried it out? I'm thinking of doing something with my next phone which will be running Android and some tips would be nice if anyone has them.

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. anurag

anurag New Member

First thing to do it root your phone. That's what opens up a whole lot of good stuff. Just search YouTube for your phone. Lots of tutorials. But there is always a risk of bricking your phone. Good luck.

4. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

What are the benefits of rooting the phone? I've heard this quite a lot but not sure I totally understand it as different people seem to say different things.

5. blumenkranz

blumenkranz New Member

Here's a pretty good article on it. My favorite there is backing up everything, but most of the things I wanted to do with my phone I already could, when I had an Android. For example, you can downlaod GO Launcher from the Google Play store if it's still there, and that's a replacement launcher (home screen.) It may depend on the device, but you should be able to replace the launcher with whatever you choose.

6. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If I'm now mistaken once you tamper with your phone that does void your warranty. If it's an older phone and you have something else to fall back on, and wanted to try it out, then why not. But just be careful. Don't do something you are going to regret later.

7. anurag

anurag New Member

That's not right. I used to think that too. But if you revert back all the changes, the warranty stays.

8. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Thanks for the link, there's some pretty interesting stuff there. I'm tempted to go through with a root but I'm terrified of messing something up somewhere!

9. anurag

anurag New Member

@Susimi Like I warned before, do not root your phone unless you are completely sure you can handle it. But it's not that tough. You just need a phone specific software, a fully charged battery and some common sense.

10. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have taken your warning on board anurag, I'll be sure to do a lot of studying on it all before I think about whether I can do it or not and if I want to run the risk.

11. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Hmm, I've done quite a bit of research on rooting the phone I'm hoping to get and I think I am a bit out of my depth there. I would like to get rid of the bloatware that will no doubt be present but I think it's not worth the risk for me, so I'm just gonna stick to editing the launcher & home screen.

12. Aquar

Aquar New Member

Yeah I would say you might have made the right choice. In my experience it was more complicated to root the phone than my tablet (although to be fair it was from a crappy brand so the brand might have had a lot to do with it). I think in the future if you come across needing to root it just to make it tolerable to use (which is why I did mine) then it's just best to get a better phone but on the other hand if rooting will completely change your experience then you can consider it.

13. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The main reason I was looking at rooting it was to remove the bloatware that would be on it but as I say, it's not worth the risk for me to take as I don't have experience in this sort of stuff and, going against what my pride is saying, I have no idea what I'm doing really!

Maybe much later on down the line when I have a better understanding of the process, but not at this time. It's just not worth the risk.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If you're looking to just use custom launchers/icons then you're not going to need root on your phones.
    Rooting your device can really be a good thing, and as long as you download the correct files and follow the instructions then you're not going to run into any trouble.

15. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Knowing me I would run into some trouble!

As said, I'm gonna play it safe for now and wait until I know a little more about it all.

16. anurag

anurag New Member

Yeah, better safe than sorry, eh? ;)

17. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Definitely! I know all too well from...past experiences with things that I messed up after rushing into but was luckily able to get back.

No way am I gonna let that happen again!

18. Se7en

Se7en New Member

Rooting your phone can be very easy today. You have apps that will root your phone with one button press, you have aplications that will lead to step to step what to do in order to root without problems. There are so many tutorials online so I believe you have nothing to worry :)

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Of course! It's always recommended you become a little bit more "educated" on the topic before trying to root your phone. Not knowing what you're doing may lead to issues (you can even make your phone a $100-1000 paper if you mess up badly).

20. anurag

anurag New Member

So, a lot of time has passed now. Did you root your phone? If yes, how did it go? And if no, why not?