Microsoft vs Apple vs Samsung vs Competition

Discussion in 'Lumia' started by pwarbi, Apr 21, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Just a quick thread for you guys that are currently using the Windows platform as opposed to iOS and android.

Do you feel that you've maybe been a little let down by Microsoft and the amount of attention it's actually given to the Windows phones? While Apple and android certainly do.I ate h.the market at the moment, it seems like the Windows platform, instead of increasing its market share has actually took a few steps backwards.

What's so good about this platform that makes you stick with Windows? Are you considering changing and why?

Can windows catch up to the other two platforms or is it already too late?

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    Microsoft needs to create a premium, flagship device and then move into the midrange category more so than the budget category. The Windows Phone OS is actually pretty good aside from poor app support. Windows 10 is only going to strengthen the platform, so Microsoft is coming up on an opportunity to increase its market share by a noticeable amount. If the company drops the ball with the opportunity Windows 10 is giving itself, then it's time to move on from mobile devices.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    With a company such as Microsoft, and all its financial might, you'd have thought that by entering this market, that the Windows phone would have been a serious competitor.

I haven't owned one but people who do, seem to like them and have stuck with them through different models.

It's as if Microsoft haven't really took much interest in this side of their business and left it you just struggle along.

In terms of brand names, is Microsoft as well known as Apple and Samsung? Definitely, so why they haven't competed seriously is a mystery.

5. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 13, 2015
    Male
    I'm frustrated by the lack of specific apps that are available across all the other devices. Companies I do business with develop apps for Apple, Android, and even Amazon phones but not windows phones. I would like to see incentives for developers to port apps to windows phones.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Again, I think you have to point the finger at Microsoft for that too. From what I gather, they are reluctant to let outside developer's produce apps for the Windows phone before A, Microsoft take a hefty chunk of any money they make, and B, Microsoft aLao take most of the rights to the particular app aswell.

Don't know how true that is these days but that used to be the case.

7. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

May 13, 2015
    Male
    A credit to your point is that Microsoft wont allow outside development of web browsers for Windows Phones. I was very frustrated that I had to rely on Internet Explorer. There are a number of google apps that Microsoft has blocked from coming to Windows Phones as well.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    I think that's also a reason that Microsoft aren't too concerned with increasing their market share when it comes to mobile devices. For this to happen they'll have to loosen the strings a bit, and they're not going to do that.

9. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

May 13, 2015
    Male
    It appears that some loosening of strings is actually going to happen with the Microsoft Store. I'm not sure if it will be enough or in time though.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Allowing android apps into the Microsoft store was the only way I think Microsoft could sustain any sort of credibility when it came to their mobile platform.

This is only going to benefit their existing customers I think though, it's not going to entice new ones I wouldn't have thought.