Larger Phones such as iPhone 6 and Smart Watches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goodbud11, May 4, 2015.

1. goodbud11

goodbud11 New Member

The amount of screen real estate on larger phones such as the iPhone 6 plus is really nice when web browsing or reading emails. It can really be a pain to lug out the big phone to answer a call or text though.
    While smart watches such as the Apple Watch seem expensive, it may be worth it for folks who get a lot of calls and texts. I am on the fence about buying a smart watch and would like to know what other people think. Are you planning to buy one? Why or why not?

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

It's slightly off topic but as far as the smart watch is concerned, I very much doubt I'll be buying one and I don't think it will be the big success that Apple think.

I see it more of a gimmick that people will get bored with, rather than the next big thing.

4. vegito12

vegito12 New Member

I think big ones are coming out more often and also, they may have more apps on them and also it can take to look for things sometimes so need to see where the apps are on the phone. A smart watch would be interesting and could be useful if you don't want to use your phone or could be good for people who just want to press a button and have it easy as well. I think it could be something that could be used at a time when, people need it and also could come in hand when it is cheap and also a good use of technology as well and shows how it is improved.

5. TheViper

TheViper New Member

The funny thing is how we had a trend of smaller phones and now we all want the big screens. I actually prefer larger screens as it is just better for the user. You can see what you are doing better and plus it is easier to navigate.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

They can only make the phone so big though, before it becomes impractical to use. At what size does a phone become I tablet?

And more to the point, would we be happy making calls and carrying a tablet around?

7. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Well, tablets are traditionally 7-inch devices and larger. There have been multiple six-inch phones in the past couple years, and they're the maximum size for a phablet. Anything else is just a tablet with the name of a smartphone AKA still a tablet.

Anyways, it's not that hard to pull out a 5.5-inch device from your pocket unless you're wearing some tight jeans. It's a non-issue for most people, especially those that expect and realize a phablet is larger than a traditional smartphone. Smartwatches are completely unnecessary, though they will afford some level of convenience, depending upon how much you prize saving a few seconds each time you receive a notification on your smartphone.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Ideally I think manufacturers try to combine the two, what the optimum size is, I'm not sure yet though to be honest.

9. jfab

jfab Member

I love that the screen is large this time. I have no troubles dealing with the font now!

10. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

As you've already mentioned, the large screen is a huge boon for the end user. I love large screens on phones but I'm also fortunate enough to spend most of my working day behind a desk. For folks that have to be mobile all day, I don't think large screen phones are very practical. They should rather purchase a phone with a more manageable size. I've just received an Apple Watch for development purposes, it's very limited for game development purposes but we will try to get something on there.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have a Moto 360 and it makes my life much more easier. I don't have to pull out my phone everytime I get a notification or something because I get everything I need on my watch.
    I think it's a great purchase and you should consideri t!

12. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think I will purchase one. I really hope this isn't the direction smart phones end up going. The smaller is better phase died out I thought. Nobody wants to carry around one of those bricks from the 1980's but I think the watch is a little ridiculous. This is just my humble opinion. Others may find them useful.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

What I don't understand about the watch, is that you have to have your phone on you anyway, so you might aswell just use your phone, rather than have another device, giving you the same information.

I've still not had the chance to try one put yet so I'll reserve my judgment for when I do I guess.