Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

How do you guys feel about jailbreaking your phone? I did it to one of my phones, but I will never do it again. I did it on my iPhone 4 and it ruined the whole phone and it wouldn't turn back on. The problem is that I did it way too many times to that phone, it just couldn't handle it anymore. I think that it's a cool thing to do if you are able to without breaking the phone. There are a lot of cool apps that you can get, and cool things that you can do with your phone. So, how do you feel about jailbreaking your phone, and have you done it to your phone?

2. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My brother had a similar experience like yours. He only did the jailbreak once but after the new updates came out, his phone just stop working altogether. It was such a big mess, and seeing that, I have never contemplate about jailbreaking anything. I just make sure I bought the factory unlocked one if I ever want to switch carrier.

3. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I absolutely don't recommend jailbreaking to anyone, particularly with Apple's phones. I was an early adopter of the first iPhone, and while it was easy to jailbreak I was left with an unusable phone after a couple of months. Don't listen to people on the internet about all the cool things you can do with a jailbroken iPhone. You're spending a lot of money on that phone, even with a contract. It's really not worthwhile to damage your phone in this manner.

4. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That was the first thing I did wrong. Listening to people talk about all the cool things that you can do once you're phone is jailbroken. My phone was also very unstable after the jailbreak, but I thought it was so cool, so I kept it. That was my first mistake because it's not worth it. If Apple wanted you to be able to do that to their phones then they would let you. There is a reason why jailbreaking doesn't work most of the time and my problem was a prime example. Many people told me that I used the wrong system to do, but I did what everyone else told me to use. I would say that I'm fairly tech savvy so I don't think that I was the main reason why that phone broke.

5. JayWifi

JayWifi New Member

Jailbreaking is supposed to let your phone become more customizable and you can do "whatever you want". Meanwhile if anything screws up, you're out of a phone. If you want more customization, get an Android. Android seems to be less strict with the file managing and apps.

6. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I did it once to an old IPod but for me it don't worth it, I didn't ruin my iPod or anything like that but it did make it slower, and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't download the new iOS to it... As you have mentioned it's a good method to get apps that you need to pay for them or you can't get (for example i can't get whatsapp for an iPod, they really need to change that) but I personally don't think it worth it.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I have tried jailbreaking my ipod touch before. At first, it was really nice because I have access to all apps and even games that I love. I get to change the theme of my ipod and it actually looked cool. However, whenever my ipod has a drained battery, I noticed that it seems to charge slowly and would not turn on even sometimes. I have to connect it to a laptop or else it will not open. Then, one day it just suddenly crashed. When I opened it, all apps were gone. The jailbreak was also gone. So I guess, jailbreaking has some good and bad points.

8. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Oh yeah, and sometimes people will just tell you that you didn't jail break it right. So many people have told me that I did it wrong when I've never said how I jail broke mine or what softwear I used. I don't know why people are so senestive about it. I just think that overall it's bad to try and jail break any device. It's nice having the free apps and changing the look of the phone, but it's really bad for it.

briannagodess likes this.
  9. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I think the fact that we were able to download the illegal apps and themes means that we had jailbroken it correctly lol. Somehow, jailbreaking just ruins a device's capability. It is of course illegal and disregarding your device's system so there has to be a conflict with it.

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Haha that is true. It just makes me mad when people tell me 'oh well you must have done that wrong' like no obviously not. Yeah, I mean like I've said before, if Apple wanted us to be able to do this then they would let us. That's why you really shouldn't do it. It's a real good way to make your phone a paperweight.

11. sbatz72

sbatz72 Member

I don't think I would jailbreak my own phone nor would I purchase a phone that somebody did a jailbreak on. I think some people like to buy them because they travel to other parts of the world a lot and they are not wanting to use their own cellular service when in these other parts of the world. International calling on a cellular phone is a lot.

12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I have to agree with you I don't think that I would buy a phone that someone had jailbroken. I mean there are so many problems that might come with the phone. I get that, but I mean I just wouldn't be able to do that. I just think it's not worth it in the end.