Is there a way to verify whether an IMEI is clean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diane Lane, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    I see a lot of devices listed for sale on various venues online, and have considered buying one, but I'm not sure how to verify before buying that the IMEI is clean. Is there some sort of online clearinghouse that one can check with to ensure the number is clean, prior to purchasing the device? If so, is the process free, or is there a charge for the information?

2. chevypowell

chevypowell Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Feb 9, 2015
    Male
    Knowledge Seeker
    Yes you can verify if the IMEI number is nulled or reported as stolen when you Dial “#06#”. and got 0000 OR Unknown.

Or
    You can go to settings>About>Status . Make sure that the IMEI number is present.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Do you mean when you physically have the phone in hand? I know I sold my old phone on eBay years back, and the buyer wanted to know the IMEI was clean, and I did something via Sprint to show that, but I can't remember what it was. I'll probably buy my next phone used on either eBay or another site, and was wondering how to verify a clean IMEI via the #, where the seller would give me the # (or I might have phone in hand if it's a local sale), and I'd call the company, or some sort of national clearinghouse, to verify it's clean and can be activated. TIA!

4. chevypowell

chevypowell Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Feb 9, 2015
    Male
    Knowledge Seeker
    You can verify if it's clean here

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    Thanks so much, @chevypowell that will definitely come in handy when I'm ready to buy a new (to me) phone, and I'm sure many others will also find it useful!