Is the size of the iPhone 6 plus really worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CamdenB, Apr 17, 2015.

1. CamdenB

CamdenB New Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Male
    With a huge display size of 5.5 inches, compared to the 4.7 inches of the regular iPhone 6, is the extra size, and talk time/battery life really worth it? Is the size more of a hassle than a benefit? Are you able to fit the iPhone 6 plus in your pocket?

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Personally I don't like the size of the plus, HTC did something similar with the ONE and that didn't work either.

5.5" is too big. It doesn't feel right to use and it's too awkward to carry.

4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    Phablets are one of the fastest growing segments of smartphones today. People are finding more and more that they can't go back once they've had the larger screen. A bigger screen might make the phone bigger, but that means the battery gets bigger and you can do more with the screen. I have a 5-inch screen right now, and it feels relatively puny compared to larger devices. I'd rather have a device with a larger screen, and even small screen fans tend to enjoy the larger screen after experiencing its potential benefits for a few hours of use.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    While it's true that you can do more on a bigger screen, I think with a lot of people they would prefer a happy medium. A phone with a big enough screen, but that's also easy to operate with one hand.

At the moment it just seems like there's a race on as to who can build the biggest phone, and well, as the saying goes, bigger isn't always better.

6. queenbellevue

queenbellevue New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    One of my best friends has an iPhone 6 plus and she LOVES it. The screen is big but you get used to it really quickly, and she carries it in her bag rather than in her pockets so she didn't consider it a problem. I've played games and such on it a couple times and I gotta admit that the screen is fantastic. It really depends on the user, whether he/she prefers convenience over better user experience.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    I think it's also a matter of what you get used to aswell. If you've been using a big screen phone for a while, when you suddenly go back to a smaller screen again you can see the difference and you wonder how you ever coped!

For me though, I have to admit while the big screen is nice, convenience aswell plays a big part and it needs to be practical and for me probably a 5.5" is as big as I'd want to go.

8. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    I love the size of the iPhone 6 Plus. My phone gets used for web browsing and email a lot so the bigger screen is really nice when it comes to those tasks. Also, I was able to sell my iPad after getting the 6 plus because I didn't really use it any more. As far as fitting in my pockets goes, I haven't had any trouble at all.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    While it's true that the size of the 6 plus will certainly help with web browsing and other tasks like that, how have you found the phone for just general day to day use?

Is it a small tablet that is also a phone, or a phone that can be considered a small tablet?

10. queenbellevue

queenbellevue New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    I can't really say if it's worth the extra money or not, but I CAN tell you that after using it for a while, going back to smaller screens is HORRIBLE.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Male
    It really depends on the person. I personally like the size of the 6+, but that's because I'm a very tall guy and I have no problems holding big devices.
    Both options are fine, though.

12. jfab

jfab Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    I would say it's worth it! I bought it and I love its new size! At first I was hesitant because it might look like an Android phone. But I was wrong. It's perfect.

13. Chloe Webber

Chloe Webber New Member

May 3, 2015
    Female
    It all depends on what you personally want. I suggest you go into the Apple store and try out their iPhones! This is the only real way that you can be certain whether the iPhone 6 plus is too big for you. If it is, the iPhone 6 might be better. Plus, does the size of the phone you have really matter? Surely what you can actually do on the phone is more important.

14. TheViper

TheViper New Member

May 2, 2015
    Male
    I guess it is good that I have big pockets. We have no problems fitting our iPhone's in our pockets and haven't heard of many complaints. The funny thing is that most people who are accustom to android prefer bigger screens. I think Apple did well here.

15. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 5, 2015
    Female
    I definitely do not like the size of the iphone 6 plus, I'm actually hoping that the next iphone that comes out with be a little smaller but have all the benefits of the current one. I agree that it is more of a hassle than a benefit. For one, this iphone is harder to fit in pockets and although the screen is a lot bigger, I personally don't look at videos on my phone, so its useless the way it is.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    The jury still appears to be out when it comes to the size of the 6 plus. Some people like the bigger screen, while a lot of others don't.

I think this is a phone that you need to have a hands on test with rather than just purchasing on line, just to make sure.

17. GenevB

GenevB New Member

May 12, 2015
    Male
    I don't really appreciate phones of this big size, I would go for 4.5 inches at most. And the extended battery life I don't think it makes the extra money you have to pay for a plus one.

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Again, the screen is definitely the biggest battery drain on a phone, so if you want a massive screen, then you can't really complain about the battery life.

19. superbobby

superbobby New Member

May 31, 2015
    Male
    It is not worth it in my opinion. The Iphone 6 is already the perfect size. I don't get why others think that a bigger screen is better.

20. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    A lot of people think that the bigger the screen, the better the phone but that's not always the case. A mobile device as also got to be, well, mobile aswell, so just how big do people want their phones these days?

21. blumenkranz

blumenkranz New Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    I've felt like the battery life on smartphones has always been pretty terrible, though this could be due to buying my phones used for a cheaper price and not new. I compared my iPhone 4s to the 6 and 6+ side by side, and I can definitely say that the 6+ is what I want. I use a Swype-like third party keyboard to text one handed on my 4s, as horizontal orientation really seems to cramp my hands up after a conversation. Though, I suppose I would need to have owned one for a extended period of time to really say for sure. If it gets any bigger though, it's just going to end up straying into tablet territory.