Is it true that the iPhone 6 bends?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Industry Post, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Industry Post

Industry Post New Member

I heard somewhere online that the iPhone 6 bends and breaks in your pocket. Is that true?
    Have you ever had any experience with that happening?

2. Loading...

3. queenbellevue

queenbellevue New Member

Put ANY smartphone into your back pocket and sit on it...Will it bend? Of course! I'm no fan of Apple, but the whole "scandal" started with a few people thinking the iPhone was indestructible or something and sat on it, then took to twitter to complain. If that's your only qualm about getting this phone then you needn't worry.

4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Queenvellevue, you're my absolute hero for speaking the truth. Any smartphone, especially those with metal designs, are prone to bending if stored in the back pocket and sat on. The HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S(anything), and most other devices are susceptible to these same bending problems. Perhaps smaller devices are less likely to bend because they're sturdier in some ways, but you can bend and break the average device with your bare hands. The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus aren't the only bendable smartphones out there!

5. queenbellevue

queenbellevue New Member

Lol, thanks. I consider myself leaning on the Apple hater side, and I DO think their devices are kind of a rip off, BUT the whole "bendgate" thing was total bull crap.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's true! Of course the phone bent...but show me a phone that doesn't bend when you have it in your pocket and sit down.

It was clearly a story made to discredit Apple for one reason or another. Now I'm no Apple fan either but stopping to them levels is a little low.

7. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

It does bend but to a certain extent. I certainly don't believe it would bend without a little bit of force to it, but such is the case with any phone where it does bend. I have investigated and seen that the iPhone 6 bending in your phone is a bit of a myth, unless it really was forceful. No need to worry about it if you're cautious while it's in your pocket or in your hands, I'm sure you wouldn't be trying to break it in half.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It seems that every time a new device is released, people are always keen to show the negative points before saying anything good about the product.

It's like people can't just enjoy something without giving it a full review first.

Kyler likes this.
  9. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

That's right. This is the case with like every product. I know for sure that many times we often be hesitant to buy certain products because of peoples opinion of it or certain reviews that make us skeptical. After all, once buying the product, you become satisfied with it and happy without having to go to these reviews to force an opinion. I agree with you.

pwarbi likes this.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think this is where forums such as this come into their own. It's not just random people who are trying to make a case AGAINST a certain brand or trying to get people to buy the same as they have.

People on here are actually interested in the technology and not just out to make a review.

Kyler likes this.
  11. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Absolutely. I agree and I'm thankful for this forums because people like you are intelligent enough to realise that. Personal experience varies from one another so to take ones review upon ourselves and say that is how it is, is not the way to go.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Everybody will have good and bad stories when it comes to handsets that they have or have had in the past, but a lot of that is down to the preferences of the individual.

Don't buy this phone because I don't like the size...isn't a review. It's an opinion in my eyes anyway.

13. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Yeah. I think it all comes down to when a person has it in his hands, they change their view immediately. Another reason not to trust reviews online at all is because they speak from a wide and general perspective and not of a person who has had it for a birthday present for example, or a person that doesn't own a lot of phones. I personally don't care in comparison with other phones, with the one I got. Whatever I have I'm happy with, there will always be better out there, but I don't care :p

14. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco New Member

I've heard that the iPhone 6 plus will bend more easily than most phones, but I still don't think that it's anything you should bother worrying about. All phones are going to bend when they're thin and large enough.

15. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

That's true. All you have to do is just be careful with it and not worry too much about it because any phone would bend if you put force into it.

16. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco New Member

I do remember in the video of the iPhone 6 plus being bent, they showed that the Moto X was quite difficult to bend, although that phone is thicker and heavier than the iPhone, so it's to be expected.

17. jfab

jfab Member

It's true but it was sensationalized saying as if it's a magical feature. It's hilarious. All phones could bend anyway.

18. Chloe Webber

Chloe Webber New Member

The iPhone 6 Plus has somewhat been reported of 'bending'. But honestly, this shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you are careful with the phone. It's thought that the issue is simply because the 6 Plus is so much larger and thinner than previous phones, that the aluminum case simply doesn't have enough strength proportional to its length. Since phones are getting bigger and thinner, they're obviously becoming weaker too.

19. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco New Member

When the news about the iPhone 6 Plus bending came out, there were only 9 reported instances of this happening by accident. Out of the number of phones they sell, I don't think this is a big issue.

20. Torialou

Torialou New Member

Well I can safely say mine is perfectly straight and is showing no signs of bending, however I have not put it in a back pocket and tried to sit on it. The thing is the phone is slim and metal, a lot thinner than some of the previous models and with slimness they are going to bend easier.

I always find that if you treat your devices carefully then they last as long as you need them too. I have never used an Iphone without having it covered with screen protectors, cases and often a sock or cover also. I certainly would never keep one in my back pocket and not simply because it could be sat on, but because so many fall down the toilet when people do!

21. pixel

pixel New Member

It's a fairly durable phone, but it will bend if put under significant pressure or reasonable pressure over a longer period of time. I think the iPhone 6 got the reputation of being bendable because it's a high profile brand and was a significant design change from previous iterations of the phone.