Is Galaxy S4 SIM Card Same Size As Samsung Galaxy S6 SIM?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by oldman47, Apr 8, 2015.

1. oldman47

oldman47 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Can I use my existing SIM card that I have on my Galaxy S4 on the Galaxy S6 that I am supposed to receive in two days?

Is Samsung Galaxy S6 using a different type of card?

The phone I bought is off contract.

2. Loading...

3. Oliver

Oliver Member

The Samsung Galaxy S6 uses a Nano SIM so you would need to cut the micro sim (sim size S4 uses) or get a hold of a new nano sim from the carrier.

Getting a new sim won't jeopardize your data.

4. oldman47

oldman47 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Thank you for the reply Oliver.

5. rightct

rightct New Member

Wow, nano sim? Are we really going to cut our SIM cards to micron size?
    It's the first time I've ever heard about this, honestly. And I thought that micro sim was too small, haha.

6. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

There are three types of SIM cards out there, and each one has been around for quite some time. I don't know why there are three options, but my particular device takes a micro SIM. I don't see the point of the full-sized SIM card. Micro and Nano make far more sense from a space-saving standpoint, though.

7. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Nano Sim, wow. I think this is just getting worse, why getting only smaller? I don't see why they would even do this. I think Micro-Sim was just alright, but I guess because of the functionality of the Galaxy S6, they had to make it smaller so that it fits with all of the hardware that's in the phone, it's not cool.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yup, you would need a Nano sim!
    I also had this "problem" but I got in touch with my phone carrier and went to their shop. They solved the problem in a jiffy!

9. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

So then why would you ask about the SIM cards getting smaller? You answered your own questions. All three sizes of SIM cards have been around for quite some time now, so it shouldn't surprise someone when manufacturers opt for one of the smaller sizes. They all perform the same task, and most SIM cards won't save that much data, so swapping them out is the easiest task in the world. Nano SIMs are a non-issue.

10. jfab

jfab Member

I didn't know this phone uses a Nano Sim until today. Thanks for this information. I was even planning of buying one myself.

11. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

It's an expression, I see you comment a lot on the way I express my thoughts, it's not a good thing to pick on people. You don't have to analyse the way I speak or express, just get to the point of what I'm saying.

12. rightct

rightct New Member

Well, I don't disagree with your statement of it being useful, but it's just that I haven't heard of it and I'm yet to know its real pragmatical use, so until I can have some real information to prove you wrong, I will simply agree. :)