iPad for running heavy programs

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seatones, Jun 12, 2015.

1. seatones

seatones New Member

As someone who uses programs that require a lot of CPU, which iPad would you guys recommend? I've done a bit of research but I'd like to hear from an actual consumer what my best option is. Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have an iPad II Air, and I do very little thing with it. I use it mainly to write and work on sites. At night, I watch a couple of shows before bed time. I don't have many apps on it. I believe you should get a bigger RAM if you are planning on heavily using the apps.

4. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I mean they are all basically the same when it comes to iPads. I mean it might be good to look into one of the older ones if you like the bigger screen. I know that sometimes it can be hard to see what you're doing on the smaller ones. I have the Mini 2, and I love that. But it's perfect for all the things that I do. Also, make sure that you get one with a lot of space.

5. Techlover

Techlover New Member

I've had the iPad 3rd gen since it came out. And last month I upgraded to the iPad Air 2 (not because there was any issue with my last one, but simply for the sake of an upgrade, and the multitask stuff on iOS 9). Comparing the two, it's clear that the speed and the responsiveness has improved like crazy. If I was using my old one alone I wouldn't have realized, but side-by-side, it is clear). With that being said, it really does depend on the apps you use. The raw CPU power is great, but you really have no control in how much of it you use. But if you want the best, and perhaps make it last a bit longer in terms of the technology available on it, I'd say go for the iPad Air 2 especially if you want the productivity.

teamxxlp likes this.
  6. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

As Techlover points out, the performance on newer iPads is significantly better than older ones, and the iOS 9 beta does bring new multitasking functionality. A newer iPad is going to get the job done performance-wise for just about every task, regardless of how "heavy" the app in question happens to be. The iPad Air 2 plus a keyboard dock is an absolute beast.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

You probably need the newer versions of Ipad which is the Ipad Air. Also, get the highest gb you can to have a ton of space available. I do find that my Ipad which is the oldest version, still works great. It does not have any issues apart from the photos loading slowly. That being said, I highly recommend the Ipad as it is very durable and long-lasting.

8. ElegantMew

ElegantMew New Member

For heavy duty use, I would strongly recommend purchasing a much more modern iPad device, considering the performance is undeniably better than previous generations. You also might want to invest in a device with higher storage considering applications that do a lot tend to be larger than an ordinary utility application.

I am not too informed about what you're trying to do, however if you are using it for something such as rendering or something that is hard on a CPU, I'd recommend building a custom PC just for that, and it would probably have the same cost (or cheaper) of the latest iPad - be sure to invest in a good CPU, and have the other parts low end, yet compatible.