iOS 9 is coming!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apple has finally said what will be on the iOS 9 release. I'm actually pretty excited because of the fact that they say we will be able to get more battery life from it. Another thing is that the update will take up less space. I think that those are two of the best things that they can do. I know that my phone dies really fast, and it stinks. I also hate how much space the updates take up. It's good that they will take up less space. I know that a lot of people complained about that. So, what are you the most excited about for the new update?

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

To be honest I think most people would want to see the battery life increased no matter what device and OS they're using.

While iOS needs a complete update in my opinion, the fact that Apple have announced extended battery life and also said the OS will take up less storage, seems to suggest to me that iOS9 isn't going to be a massive improvement.

4. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I wish that Apple would do more with their updates. The system just needs a new update like you said. It's far too dated and since the new update 7 I believe where they changed the look, I've been waiting for something else. I thought that iOS 9 would be when they would do that, but I'm surprised that they didn't change much about it. I mean there are more things that Apple will be doing with the update, but they will all be small. They need to think of the way that they can make a big update soon, they seem to have a lot of competition.

5. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Member

I hope this update will go over without a hitch. It seems that every time there is an IOS update there are tons of problems before they get it right. The extended battery life would be a big deal though. The whole space issue was a mess with the last one.

6. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I have to agree with you. And it stinks because then you have to keep downloading more updates for your phone. Which means that it's taking up even more space in your phone. I know that they have testers who test out the phones, so I'm hoping they do a better job. I hate downloading a new update every couple months. The battery life is one of the best things I think that they are doing. I really hope that it give you an extra hour.

7. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Member

I'm sure Apple has worked out the kinks. I called huge shenanigans on that last update. It was the biggest fiasco of them all. I work with phones and still we plenty of 5's and 5s's on the old IOS simply because of the inconvenience.

8. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I'm sure that they work most of them out, but sometimes they can't get them all. I know that they have people who test out and download the new update before hand. I think that sometimes that can work out because other people are figuring out the kinks, but sometimes not. This was shown in the last update. So, hopefully this update will be better. I'm assuming that they will because I'm sure that many people complained about it.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Hopefully the battery is going to be better, but I'm doubtful that's going to happen. It'll probably be just a placebo thing if people start reporting their phones last much longer.
    I hope the update makes the phones snappier, that's all.

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That would be another thing that would be good. Sometimes I feel like the phones are slow. I don't know if it's the OS, or not, but it can get annoying. I mean we might get a little more battery life, but I'm sure that they won't tell us how. Like there will be something you have to do with the phone. Like maybe hitting something so that the apps aren't always running the background. I did hear that if your phone is face down that it won't use much battery life, so there is that.

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Android got the upper-hand in terms of fluidity and multitasking. I just wish they would optimize the OS more so that we would be able to keep more apps open at the same time.
    Not quite sure about the phone facing down draining less battery though. I don't think that's real.

#10 FuZyOn, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Is iOS 9 update just for iPhone 6? My iPhone 5 just received an update for 8.4 and I haven't set my heart on doing it yet since I had a terrible experience with the last update. I will hold out for a while longer.

13. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I have noticed on those phones that you can't keep the apps open otherwise it will start to slow your phone now. On the Apple site they said that is a new feature that they will have. " Thanks to ambient light and proximity sensors, your iPhone knows if it’s facedown on the table and prevents the screen from turning on, even when you receive a notification. And the new Low Power mode lets you extend your battery life even further." If you go all the way down to the bottom of the page it says that. So I'm assuming that since the phone knows it's on its face, it won't be able to go off and will help save battery life.

14. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

The iOS 9 beta shows a lot of improvements for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, but everyone is far more excited about the multitasking improvements for the latest iPad models. Apple can't afford to do a minor update for iOS 9. To avoid major issues, the company needs to release an update that makes a big impact and doesn't experience bugs. It's similar to what Microsoft needs to do with Windows 10's release but to a lesser magnitude.

15. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I think that the multi taksing for the iPad will be awesome. I think that is the one of the best features that the new update will bring for the iPads. I'm beta testing it right now for my phone and besides the fact that it makes my phone lag, it is a good update. For the most part, it's a good update. The only thing that I wish they would do is update the OS system. Yes, that is true.

16. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

Better battery life but for who? I can only imagine that there will be some problems with older phones upon upgrading, which will probably do the exact opposite of improving battery life. I mean, it happened before with iOS 6 and 7 (don't know about 8), and I'm sure history will repeat itself.

pwarbi likes this.
  17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm also going to be a bit wary of the better battery life statement aswell. If you have the latest iPhone then you might get a small saving as I'm sure that's what the new iOS will be developed on and aimed at.

Like you say, if your using an older device I also think it will have opposite effect, and you might see battery life decrease.

Then again, that would be good for Apple, as that would probably tempt more people into upgrading to the newerr phone. They wouldn't have thought of that though would they? I think they would actually but maybe I'm just being a bit cynical...

18. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

Eh, I don't really think they would release a botched update on purpose. They would be exposed quickly and their reputation would go south fast. If I recall correctly, battery issues with newer iOS versions on older phones have been solved (a tad bit, but still), so it's probably a matter of time.

Still, the battery life gain is probably exclusive to the newer models, so for those with older phones: be careful and do your research before updating!

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I didn't say they would deliberately botch the update, I said they would optimize it to work on the flagship model. The new device is more powerful and has higher specifications than the others do so would be able to handle an update better

Apple could design a separate update that's aimed at the older models but they're not going to do that, as that would mean people would be more likely to keep hold of their old phones..

20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Kind of a late response but the iPhone 5 will also get iOS 9. iPhones have a pretty big lifespan and they get updated for a multitude of years. I think you should upgrade to the latest version in the future.

IcyBC likes this.
  21. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I did updated to the latest version that the notification told me to do, the 8.4 since I hate to see that red number next to the app icon :) Haven't got the 9 notification yet, but sooner or later, it will come and I have no choice but to do it. Hopefully version 9 is smooth sailing and does what it supposes to do without too much trouble.