I don't like the "leather" back

Discussion in 'LG' started by kjonesm1, Jun 6, 2015.

1. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Member

What are your guys thoughts about the faux leather back? In pictures I though it looked great and really wanted to get one. Once I got my hands on it I didn't like the way it felt. I just ran the tip of my nail across it and it left a very noticeable mark. It's been days and I've tried rubbing it out to no avail. I wish they would have invested more into the quality of the components and aesthetic of the phone.

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Well, if LG had done a more premium design, then you'd surely be missing the removable battery and expandable storage. The faux leather is fine, and you'd have to put a decent amount of pressure to leave a permanent indent on the backplate. It wouldn't have hurt to put the "self-healing" coating on the device like with the G Flex and G Flex 2, but I have no complaints about the G4. It's a great device like its predecessor.

4. GavinGimbo

GavinGimbo Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't seem to have a problem with the leather back on the G4. I saw it in store last week and it just looks good. Yes, it is plastic when compared to S6 and all, but LG have seem to decently built the G4. As for scratching the leather back, this is probably the same issue for the Moto X as I know. I guess applying a skin will do.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I went to a store to play with a G4 and I really like the leather back. It feels nice in the hand and I preffer it over glass, metal or plastic. It adds a nice touch to the phone and it makes it feel more premium.

6. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Can you replace the leather back or is it "static"?

I've seen the adverts for it and it looks to be well made but it just does not look right to me.

7. theGIJST

theGIJST New Member

I didn't buy the phone and I didn't even hold it in my hands, but judging from the ads, pictures and videos, I don't really like it. It just looks wrong to me. I'm sure LG did a good job on that, but it feels too old-fashioned to me, for some reason. I don't like the way it looks and I probably wouldn't like the way it feels, either. I hope there is an option for a normal plastic or even aluminium cover. The brown leather just looks horrible, in my opinion, and the black one looks better, but still not that good. As for the specs of the phone, they are great and it seems like a very good phone to rival the others, but the cover is a bad touch.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I just saw an ad for it, and love the look, at least on television. I think I would probably like the feel of it in my hand, as well. I tend to put cases on my phones, though, to protect not just the back, but especially the screen. Would y'all put a case on the LG G4, despite the leather back?

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

For me, LG tried to make the G4 stand out from all the other devices around at the moment, and from peoples opinions, it's got a mixed reception. While I think the design of the phone looks quite nice, and it does differ from other devices, I'm not too sure if I'd like to use one myself.

When it comes to a phone design, it's always going to be a matter of opinion and taste, so what one person likes, somebody else might hate it, that's the problem that all the phone manufacturers face, trying to make something out of the ordinary, that stands out, but at the same time is conservative enough for people to buy.

10. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I thought it was faux leather, but when I saw the commercial again last night, I rewound, and it states that it's genuine. That many not matter to some, but could be a big difference to others. I really like the look of it. I'd have to do something to protect it, though, because I'm used to the case encompassing the edges, therefore providing some protection to the front screen, as well as cushioning the back.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Real leather or not, it still doesn't appeal to me I'm afraid, haha.

Didn't BlackBerry try something similar a few years ago with their BlackBerry bold device? I'm sure that had some sort of leather or suede backing on it?

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I remember the BlackBerry bold device but from what people were saying the phone felt pretty good in the hand.
    A photo for reference: [​IMG]

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's the device that I was thinking of, so I guess LG aren't the first to offer that on their phones although I have to admit, on the BlackBerry it does look a little out of place. Then again it's hard to imagine now that at the time, that was one of the flagship devices to have.

How times change...

14. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

15. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I don't think it looks out of place, necessarily, but I do think having the larger, whole back leather, such as on the LG G4, looks better. But, then again, I love leather, so I'm predisposed to liking it. I've seen the different color leather backs on the G4, and I prefer the standard ones to the more faddish colors represented here, although my eyes are drawn to the mint :). http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/g4/cover-promo

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm not a lover of phones that are different colours. I'm more traditional and tend to stick with silver or black to be honest.

I remember when the iPhone 5c came out and the main selling point was that it came in a variety of colours, and I remember thinking, that would put a lot of people off rather than make then want one even more.

Diane Lane likes this.
  17. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I hadn't been paying attention at the time they were released, since I knew I couldn't afford one, but was looking at them recently, and thought they looked cheap. I think they were marketing to the younger crowd, and probably mainly to young girls. The phones seemed lower cost than the other versions, I think because they're so stylized, and don't appeal to as many people, so resale prices are lower.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The IPhone 5c was definitely aimed at the younger market definitely, like you said the price wasn't as much as the iPhone, and you could tell by the colours that they had certainly aimed it at that market aswell.

I guess it just goes to show that it's not just the specification of a phone that people look at these days, it's the design aswell that they'll take into account.

Diane Lane likes this.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Definitely! Design is as important as the hardware or software of a phone. I personally wouldn't choose a phone that is comparable in performance with a high-end computer if the device would be a couple of inches thick and have the appearance of a big brick.