HTC One M8 With Windows

Discussion in 'HTC' started by teamxxlp, Jun 7, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

When HTC and Windows teamed up to release a version of the M8 running Windows Phone OS, a lot of people were surprised. Of course, the device worked pretty well despite the limitations of Windows Phone OS (at the time). Something that surprised a lot of reviewers revolved around battery life. The HTC One M8 running Windows achieved multiple hours of improved battery life compared to its Android counterpart.

Then again, we all know that Android is somewhat inefficient when it comes to resource management and power usage. :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think the android platform is about average, or should I say, as bad as all the rest when it comes to battery life and power usage. With any device and with any OS this is always going to be an issue, people want infinite battery life, and until that day comes it will always be a topic for discussion.

4. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

What I want smartphone manufacturers (or tech companies) to do, and some companies have posed the idea, is using different materials for batteries. They want to design batteries that last many times longer on a single charge, but the batteries die in fewer discharge cycles than traditional lithium batteries. I'd choose that over Quick Charge technology or having to charge my phone so often, assuming the tech could be mass-produced at a reasonable price. I'd pay a premium for having, say, actual 24-hour battery life (with moderate to high usage) but having to buy a new battery every eight to 10 months or whatever it would be.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think cost is going to be a major factor when it comes to both developing batteries and also buying them. Most handsets now don't have user replaceable batteries like they used to, so if changing your battery will mean a trip to the local service department, that could also impact on the cost.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Windows 8 is not that resource-hungry so it was to be expected the battery life was going to be amazing. I really liked the Windows 8 variant of the M8, hopefully we'll have better devices in the future that have the W8 OS.

7. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Well, Windows Phone 8.1 is obviously on the way out thanks to the pending release of Windows 10 this month. The mobile version should be coming sometime soon, and Windows Phone 10 could be a major improvement. Microsoft has a new dedication and streamlined process for getting iOS and Android apps into the Windows Store, so that's nice. I'm excited to see what comes next for Windows mobile devices.