How much space do you actually use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Miaka_M, May 10, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 5, 2015
    Female
    There are 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB and 64 GB storages. Ideally I would usually go for a 64 GB iphone because adding more storage is just not an option and its always great to have that extra bit of space for anything down the road. But, how much space do you actually use? iPhones are so expensive, is it really worth it to purchase a 64 GB iphone? Realistically, I use about an average of 16 GB across all my devices. But does this mean that I would go for the 16 GB? No, of course not. Unfortunately, Apple has those pre-loaded apps that no matter what you do, they cannot be removed, so that 16 GB is reduced to about 12 GB, this is clearly a sellig tactic. With that being said, unfortunately I'd be going for th 32 GB. What about you?

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Personally I'd always try and get the biggest that you can afford. Maybe you won't use it all but I'd rather have it and not use it than the other way round. A lot of people also have cloud storage these days aswell so the actual internal memory size isn't as big an issue as what it used to be.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. TitanDolphin1

TitanDolphin1 New Member

May 4, 2015
    Male
    I would go with the 32gb model since I feel that 64gb is a little too much and I probably wont even get close to using them all up. But if I buy the 16gb model then I probably won't have enough space on my phone to enjoy it to it's fullest potential. Therefore I go with the 32gb model since it's in the middle of both of them and I think it's a great balance.

5. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    I would say today, it's best to aim for 64GB because it's just good to have extra and it won't go in vain in a few years. Since it's not that different from the price of 32GB, just adding a few bucks and get it is going to be much easier.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    The difference between the 32 and 64 is around $120 so while it's not a lot, it's certainly a lot if your not going to use that extra space anyway, if you know what I mean?

7. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    120 dollars, wow. Here it's much much less, it's not even 60 dollars difference.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    That's the price going off the official Apple store website by the way, I'm sure by shopping around you can get that price down.

Even so, I begrudge paying more for anything I may not use.

9. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 16, 2015
    You should got with what you can afford but also with what your needs are. I think the 8 GB & 16 GB versions are too much on the low-end for most people's requirements. Especially if you're going to be taking plenty of photos, videos and downloading music. For most folks they should either consider the 32 GB or 64 GB versions instead. As I am an app developer I have to work with the 64 GB variant but for others the 32 GB should suffice.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Do you factor in the size of an app when it's in the process of being developed or is that a side issue? Just thought it might be interesting to get an inside perspective on things.

Are you more concerned with the actual app, and the features, rather than how much space it will take up?

AlexKid likes this.
  11. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 5, 2015
    Female
    Wow 60 dollars difference? Its about 100 dollars difference on my end, and this is without factoring the 13% taxes that I have to pay. If the taxes weren't so high where I live, I would probably go for the 64 GB like what the many others have said. But I just don't have the funds currently to spend so much and purchasing it somewhere without such a high tax is completely out of the question unfortunately,

12. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 16, 2015
    Pwarbi, the size of the app is incredibly important. It's far better to have a smaller sized app than larger, preferably around 4 MB for a simple game such as a 2D runner or shooter. The reason for this is that you lose a lot of potential downloads if the file is too large, and takes too long to load. Most mobile users are unfortunately very impatient.

The features of the app are also important, but we avoid feature creep i.e. continually adding more features as that prolongs development time and increases overhead. We try to strike the right balance between added features and financial feasibility of every project we work on.

13. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    True.

14. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    Yeah it makes sense, but it's not that expensive here at all.

15. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    Get the next step up from whatever you think you'll use. It's genius of Apple to offer those memory options without expandable storage because it guarantees that users will go for a larger internal storage option the next time they purchase an iPhone. At least that's what some of the research has shown. I'm more than all right with 16GB, but I prefer 32GB or 64GB when the option is available for any smartphone.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    At the end of the day people should really go with as big as they can afford. More apps are becoming more advanced these days, so obviously if your device is going to be loaded with all the latest ones, that's going to impact the performance.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Male
    64 GB I think is enough for me as I don't usually store a lot of my movies on the phone. I do have a very big music library though, that usually takes up 10 GB otherwise I would've went with the 32 GB version (I think this version is the best for an average user)

18. blumenkranz

blumenkranz New Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Male
    On my 16GB 4s, I'm using 9.1GB. 3.8GB of that is music, as I like to have a wide selection of music available to fit the mood. Then, there's about 800MB or so for camera, messages, and so on. I really wish I had a 64GB 6+, I would really like the extra space. I'm a power user of my phone and I like to have a lot of things on my device at once, instead of sacrificing space for Apps that take up way more space then I'd ideally like them to be using. I'd like to be able to start storing movies and TV shows in it in the future, in case I'm somewhere without internet access.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    I think most people's phones are clutterd with apps and downloads that they either don't use or have forgotten about. If you looked through you downloads you'll be surprised at just how much you can probably delete without you even noticing.

20. superbobby

superbobby New Member

May 31, 2015
    Male
    The 64GB is the way to go. I put a lot of movies on my phone so I need a lot of space.

21. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Maybe it's just me then but I never download and keep movies on my devices, I always just stream them if I'm watching something. So other people download and keep movies, and if so...why? Once you've seen a particular movie, why keep it, especially when you consider how much space it's taking up.