How much is my phone worth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Serpes, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Serpes

Serpes New Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    I opened this thread as a way for us to find out at what price we can sell our old phones. Any opinion is welcomed.
    Please specify phone status, other accessories (if applicable), date of purchase, and other basic details. For example I have an old Nokia Lumia 520 for sell. It is red, has usb cable, charger, original box and manual. It was bought in 2014 and I was thinking of asking 20 dollars for it. Would that be a fair price?

2. Loading...

3. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    That sounds like a good price. Here's a tip when asking around for pricing. Google search and see what the going price is. I usually check craigslist and e bay for comparable's. If your phone is in mint condition with a receipt then the asking price should be on the higher end of the asking range. Good Luck.

4. orcot

orcot New Member

Apr 19, 2015
    Always look around online or places like Ebay and see what your phone is selling for and if it's for brand new or used and then reflect your pricing on that.

Your pricing for your phone seems a good price though.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Trading in old phones seems to have become big business these days with more and more companies ready to take your old phone off your hands. A lot of networks and even the phone manufacturers themselves are willing to offer you either cash or credit for your handset.

I think the basic rule is always check yourself what the phone is being priced at by using various sites on the internet, don't just go to one particular company because the price difference can sometimes be quite significant.

6. SecretlyTaco

SecretlyTaco New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    A good way to see what something is worth is to find it on eBay, and sort the search results by ending soonest, so you can see what yours would most likely sell for.

7. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Sell privately if you plan on selling an old phone and never use these companies that buy old phones as they will give you a pittance for it. Sell on ebay, craigslist or a friend and you'll get much more, around the actual asking price and not a watered down sum.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    I've found that sometimes even selling it back to your operator can be worth it. In the past, a couple of times they've give me more than what I'd get selling privately.

I think it's just a case of shopping around and not only finding the best price, but also a deal that suits you.

Selling privately can be quicker, but sometimes you may not get as much.

9. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Selling back to your operator? I've never heard of that. Is it the same as trading your old phone in for a discount on a new phone or is it simply money for your old phone?

10. GenevB

GenevB New Member

May 12, 2015
    Male
    Probably somewhere between 20 and 35 dollars would be the right place to sell it, but you need to find someone to sell it to first.

11. adfnio

adfnio New Member

May 14, 2015
    Male
    Sounds about right. Get comparables so you know where to set your buying price.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    Most of them will offer that kind of deal. Plus if you do a trade in for another device you usually get a slightly higher price for your old phone aswell.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Male
    I still have an old S3 16GB laying around here and I was wondering if I could sell it for around ~$100. The phone is in very good shape and I have all the other "gadgets" it came with.
    Sadly the warranty expired.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    As others have said, you'll be able to sell any older device, it just depends on how you want for it, and if it's an upgrade you want or just the cash. A lot of companies will give you a lot more if your trading a device in, rather than just selling it out right.

15. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Just out of interest I did an online quote thing for trading my phone in, an iPhone 4s, and was quoted £60. Pretty disappointing really. Might be worth selling it on ebay. Something to think about certainly.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Apr 15, 2015
    Male
    GEEK
    Manchester UK
    I think £60 is probably about all you'll get selling the phone privately aswell. You have to remember that there have been quite a few newer versions of that device come out, and while that's a good thing for Apple users, what it does is also push down the prices of the older phones

17. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Male
    Yeah that's understandable.

I'll probably try my luck with it on ebay if I come to a time when I want to sell it.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Female
    When looking to see what you should price your device at so that it will actually sell, as opposed to how much people list them for that they may not sell for, be sure to do an Advanced Search on eBay and check the boxes for Completed Listings, and Sold Items.

19. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

May 17, 2015
    Female
    Aren't there some websites that are in this kind of business, buying old handsets? I would go there first to see what their prices are, then look on eBay for comparison. If not, listing on Craiglist and set your own price but just be careful dealing with bad people.

20. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Jul 10, 2015
    Female
    Out of curiosity, what do these companies do with the old phones? Is it the parts of the phone that are expensive? I have sold all my older phones but got a measly price for all of it. Even my Samsung phone was bought at a very low price because the buyer said it is not in demand anymore.

21. hosewalker

hosewalker New Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Male
    That seems a bit too cheap to me. You could get a couple more dollars for it I'm sure. If you want to get an accurate price to sell the phone at you should search the phone on Ebay and see what others are selling theirs for. I wish you good luck selling your phone, I hope you make some money!.