How many GB do you need

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Danielle Davidson, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I'm wondering how many GB you guys like to get when you get a phone. I know when you get an iPhone that aren't able to get anymore, unlike the Android phones. I wish we were able to because sometimes I worry that I won't have enough space. For me, I usually get 16 GB. The reason being it's my personal phone. I don't like downloading a bunch of app. I don't play any sort of games really on my phone so I don't see a point in downloading any. I'm happy with the social media apps that I get, and that's it. So, how many GB do you guys like to get?

2. Loading...

3. Se7en

Se7en New Member

16GB is more than enough. Usually I need space for music, pictures, apps don't even take that much space.

4. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I find that my phone uses a lot of space with my music and photos. When I go to look at the space that I've used, photos and music are what take up the most space in my phone. I don't feel like I have many photos either. I have about 400+ photos and they take up about 1 GB of memory. I don't know if that's normal, but it stinks because then I worry if I get too many more photos that it will take up even more space and that I won't have much left. The same goes with my music. I know that one time I had to delete an app because it was using so much space. Then I downloaded it back to my phone and it was using even less space and I didn't change anything about the app. So, sometimes I will do that if I think an app is using too much space. Sometimes I think that I should get an iPhone with more space and then I wouldn't have to deal with this issue.

5. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Many apps are becoming graphically intensive lately and therefore require more capacity. If you're going to be downloading a lot of apps, particularly games you should go with 16 GB or more. Also, if you're going to be listening to a lot of music and taking photos regularly you might as well splash out for the iPhone with the highest capacity, that you can afford obviously. It's no fun having to delete stuff all the time to make space, at least you save yourself some headaches this way.

6. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, that's why when I get an iPhone I usually go with the 16 GB phone. It's weird because I've never had a sales person ask me if I want some with higher GBs. I mean not that I would need more, but coming to think about it I haven't had that happen. Right now I'm good with the 16 GB phone that I have. I have more than enough space on my phone. I also have an iPad, so that also makes it easier if I have an app that I want to download.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I believe my phone has only 8G on my iPhone so like you, I am very careful about what I download. My most problematic part is the photos. It took up lots of space on it already as I like to take pictures. Other than the photos, I am fine with the 8G, can't afford to get a larger storage space.

8. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I also have a problem with photo space on my phone. I have 400+ photos on my phone and take takes up 1 GB! It's crazy that pictures are able to do that. I would think that apps would take up more space, but they don't. I'm not huge into getting apps, but I download a lot of music and that's where the apps start to take up a lot of space. It jus stinks because sometimes I wish that I was able to just buy an SD card and put it in the side of my phone. It would make it better. I saw that Apple has really upped their game with the GB and now there is one with over 100 GB of room.

9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Having an SD card will help so much with storage problem, but you know it is Apple, and if they give us that option, they won't be making tons of money selling the iPhone with bigger storage space. My iCloud has been giving me warning that I am running out of space. I posted the question here asking on how to clean it out to save space, but I haven't gotten any answer.

So I just go ahead and copy the pictures to my laptop and then delete a few!

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, that is true. I mean it would be cool if Apple would give us a place to put an SD card, but that will never happen. I didn't even know that I had anything in my iCloud I thought that it was just empty. Yeah, I have also wanted to clean mine out. I have space but it doesn't seem like a lot. And I would love to be able to control what is in my cloud.

11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

@Danielle Davidson I think I have 1G free for iCloud, and I have been receiving notice to upgrade my storage space for certain amount of money. I am not going this route! I have a huge space on my portable hard drive to transfer those videos of my dog and photos to. I don't want to spend anymore money unnecessarily.

12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I don't blame you! I would not want to spend more money just for space. I'm sure that's another way that Apple has been able to get money. They know that people want more space, but they also want to make money. This way we can't give our business to other people by buying an SD card. It stinks because we already pay so much, we shouldn't have to pay even more. Yeah, I don't blame you. Spending all that money on more space just doesn't make sense. When I get my new phone in however many months that will be, I'll transfer all my stuff to my iPad. That way I will still be able to keep it.

13. snowmanpoint88

snowmanpoint88 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My iPhone 4s right now is 32GB. It's okay with me because I take a lot of pictures and download a lot of songs. On the other hand, I have a 16GB tablet, and that is enough for me as well. I guess that 16GB is enough for me. However, if you are using iOS, then you really need 32GB or more because updates take up A LOT of space.

14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Since we're talking Apple, I would say the bigger, the better, since adding external storage device isn't possible, at least at this time. My iPod Touch is 64 GB, and I got that because 32 GB wasn't enough space. The tablet I just bought is Android, and it's only 8 GB, but comes with a SD card, and I'll probably even upgrade to a larger SD card, because I go through a lot of storage because I take lots of pictures, and tend to store them on my device (or the SD card in the future), so I can post them on social media and elsewhere, for my shops.

15. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

I mean you can buy more space on the cloud. I don't know how much that would cost, but it's another way that people with Apple phones can get more storage. I'm sure that it costs a lot more than an SD card, but less than a phone with more space. Which is why I think that people are starting to just spend the money for more space on the cloud. I mean if you think about it you're probably spending $100+ on more storage between the GB the iPhones come with. And that just seems like a waste of money.

Diane Lane likes this.
  16. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Yes, true, there's always iCloud. I prefer my information in my hand (potentially), rather than out in cyberspace, where it can be hacked, though, so I would expend the money for a device with additional storage capacity, rather than spending it on space in iCloud. Many people don't feel the same though, otherwise there'd be no need for the cloud, so apparently Apple knew the target audience before creating the iCloud.

17. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

That's true, I don't know how much information I would want in the cloud. I mean in a sense then it might just be a better idea if you get more space. Yes, it would cost more money but then all that information would be on your phone. There isn't much that I do with my phone besides text, listen to music and take photos. Because of that I don't need a ton of space. One of the main reasons why I upgrade my phone so often is because I want more space. When you keep getting the updates that Apple comes out with, then it just keep taking up space. That way, I can get more space.

Diane Lane likes this.
  18. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I use the iPod Touch for work, too, so have a lot of product pictures, ideas, possibly designs and techniques, as well as communications with friends and others I share information and business ideas about products, marketing, potential future ventures, etc., with, so nothing earth shattering if it got out via hacking, but still, if I want something to be public, I'll post it myself, and don't want others doing so after accessing my files from the cloud. The tablet I'm getting comes with a storage card, but I'll probably get a larger one, too.

19. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

Yeah, I can see why that would be a problem for you. I wouldn't run into a problem like that just because I don't have anything that important on my phone. But I am starting to see why so many people want more storage and I can't disagree with you. For right now, the amount that I have is good. If there was something that I needed more room for, then I'm sure that I would buy something with more space. Right now, I just use my phone for personal use.

20. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I usually go for 32 GB, even if I don't download a bunch of apps either, or I don't have a lot of music in it...I always prefer having some extra space on my phone, you'll never know if you are going to need more space and I prefer be to be prevented!

21. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

64GB is really good if you're downloading a lot of music and movies on your phone, but I personally preffer 128GB just to have that extra headroom in case I need the extra storage.