How loud do you keep your volume at?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JayWifi, Jul 12, 2015.

1. JayWifi

JayWifi New Member

Unlike Android, iPhone doesn't give you a warning when you are listening to music too loud and over time it can lead to hearing damage. I love listening to loud music as much as everyone else but do you keep your volume low or set a limit on the volume for yourself? I'd like to hear your opinions.

2. Loading...

3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I keep it low. If I want it loud I'll use speakers instead of headphones.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

I usually keep it halfway through. If I listen to music, I'll turn it up sometimes, but most of the times I am content with halfway through. Sometimes, if I am listening to music while I am somewhere with other people, I like to turn the volume down and listen to what they say without they knowing that I'm sticking my nose in their business. :)

5. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I keep it low when I listen to music, and I don't often use earplugs either. Loud noises give me a headache and just make me jumpy. I guess this condition comes with age since I didn't have a problem with loud music before. I do worry about my son listen to loud music when he is using earplugs though. It will be damaged over time.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

How loud you keep it will obviously depend on the environment, if your in a busy, noisy area then your obviously going to have to increase the volume.

I've always found that I usually keep mine around the halfway point, depending on where I am, that seems to be about the most acceptable level.

7. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I will keep mine low. The reason being that other people don't need to know what I'm listening to. Then there is also to respect factor. I do like the Android feature where it would tell you if you're music was too loud. I used to have one, and I always thought that it was cool. Plus, if my music just randomly starts to play then it can be akward if it's all the way up.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've found the same, and the less I'm around loud noises, the less I want to be. I don't use headphones or earbuds much, since I want to be able to hear other things besides the music, in case there's a problem. I normally keep the volume pretty low, except when I'm downstairs, because the acoustics down there are really bad, and when the A/C kicks on, I can't hear a thing.

IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Not only low volume so I can hear what's going on around me, but I must have the window clear of obstacle too :) Call me paranoid, but I rather know who is coming onto my property, LOL..Now that air unit is in one window, I feel blocked in, and the noises are constantly on too.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. ElegantMew

ElegantMew New Member

To start off, I constantly am using headphones when I am listening to something on my phone. I do this simply because the audio isn't too great at all, it tends to sound a little distorted, and I simply don't want to get attention from others in public. With that being said, my headphones make sound a whole lot louder than the default, forcing me to keep the volume lower to prevent hearing issues. I personally do not like loud music, by cause of me not wanting to obtain hearing problems.

11. Val

Val New Member

With the knowledge that having my volume too high will be damaging overtime, I try to keep my volume at about halfway. Sometimes I might put it a bit up if I especially like the song or if I just want to get lost in the music for the moment. If I really want to listen to my music loudly, I tend to just put on speakers if they're handy. Sometimes I will be naughty and listen to music all the way but that is only when I am trying to get ride of the noise outside of my headphones.

12. turtledove

turtledove New Member

I usually keep mine one or two notches below halfway, unless it's a really quiet song. If I'm listening to music on my phone, I'm almost certainly out of the house, so I want to be able to hear things around me, and I also don't want other people to have to listen to my music.

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yes, I swear I was going crazy last night trying to figure out what I was hearing from outside. I thought it was either sirens, or the neighbors had drunk a little too much wine and were baying at the full moon, but I think it ultimately was cats in heat. I have an elderly neighbor who isn't doing well, and we've had 2 neighbors die in the past year, so I am always on the alert for sirens. I like my privacy, and have the blinds closed on the front of the house, but I can always peek through them. I know what you mean about being blocked in, I had a window unit before and felt the same way. There is only 1 window on one side of this house, and none on the other, so I feel at a disadvantage when I hear noises outside.

@turtledove That's so nice of you. It's smart to be aware of your surroundings, especially these days, and hearing someone's loud music is disconcerting, especially when it's not the type you prefer.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Most of the day I tend to keep it around halfway through but at night I keep it low so I can get sleepy. I never keep it on maximum, it's too loud for me.

15. linguini

linguini New Member

I keep it to a level where I can still hear the people around me. That has been the biggest complaint I had received whenever I am with friends I tend to ignore or not notice them because I set my phone volume too high. It is not safe in the long run I know and I am afraid to have the symptoms like tinnitus. I think I am already suffering from headache from unknown cause now I would associate that with loud phone volume

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Whenever my son and I listen to music, I put the volume on high. But it is only on speaker and not on an earphone. I also put the phone far from because my son will want to get it if he can reach it lol.

When I listen to music via earphone, I put the volume on medium. I still need to be able to hear my son while listening to music or watching series. So I have to set the volume on a medium.

17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I used to be really careful about that before, because the idea that other people can hear what I'm listening is really uncomfortable to me, but the other day I took off my headphones to hear if it was that loud, but it wasn't, at all! So now I put my music really loud, sometimes is still kind of uncomfortable but I don't mind about it that much anymore.

18. sbatz72

sbatz72 Member

I am very bad at listening to loud music. I perhaps have already ruined my hearing a little. However, I try to limit the time I have my earbuds in my ears. I do not like to have the earbuds in my ears often.