How long do you expect the S6 to last?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by FuZyOn, Jul 8, 2015.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

What I mean by that is: How long do you think the S6 is going to be up there at the top and among the most powerful phones?

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Not that long at all. The Galaxy Note 5 will likely feature a more powerful processor and GPU combination. The Snapdragon 820 is expected out any day now, and the OnePlus Two will feature the updated Snapdragon 810 with 4GB of RAM, so that's going to be a powerhouse. Even the most advanced smartphones lose their top spot within a few months due to the very nature of technology. Constant improvements and doubling or even tripling of processing capacity are frequent, so nothing remains on top for too long.

4. roarzie

roarzie New Member

Not for long indeed. It's amazing how quickly everything improves, and it sometimes feels weird that it can happen this quickly. Profit is at an all-time-high with all the releases going on.

5. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Not very long I should imagine.

By as early Christmas it could be starting to get overtaken by other releases, but realistically, around this time next year when the "next generation" of stuff is released. I'd be surprised if not.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Well, yes, the technology is improving pretty fast but you have to take into consideration that at the moment the smartphone industry is at its peak. There aren't a lot of big improvements between the newest generations. Even my old LG G2 can handle everything I throw at it without stuttering a frame.

7. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I use to be one of those guys that always wanted to get the latest and most powerful technology in town. But as you just stated, your tech will be obsolete real soon. In fact it's coming out next week. It's never ending and it will put you in the poor house if you try to keep you.

8. GunSlinger

GunSlinger New Member

Well with new phones coming out at a quick pace, I wouldn't say long. I mean, there's always bigger and better phones being made so there won't be any phones lasting long in the top.

9. k9cb

k9cb New Member

Do you know when the Note 5 is set to be released? I have a Note 3 now and have some time still before I'm eligible to upgrade. I really like the bigger screen size of the note and I think I would hate getting a smaller phone at this point.

10. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

This is exactly the way it's going lately.

It's getting a bit like computers now. I heard someone say once that as soon as you buy a computer with the top of the line specs, it's already obsolete because of what is being developed constantly. I would be very surprised if the S7 isn't already being worked on.

11. k9cb

k9cb New Member

While that may be true, I was under the impression that desktops become obsolete a lot less slowly than mobile devices and laptops. For one, you can build them yourself, so you know what you are getting, and won't be forced to upgrade any essential features as often as with smartphones. In addition, you are able to swap out older parts for new ones. If you plan wisely, you are going to be able to use a solid desktop computer much longer than other less customizable devices.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Technology is moving at a rapid pace these days, especially in the mobile market so I doubt the S6 will be at the top of the pile for long.

That isn't to say the device won't still be worth buying of course, and it will probably start selling even more as the cost will start to come down.

While people still might want to have the latest device, a lot of the time it's better to go for a model that's slightly older.

13. k9cb

k9cb New Member

I think I kind of agree with this mindset. I find my smartphones have been fine quite a while after they'd be considered old. I'm also not one to believe the hype of a new phone. I like to wait awhile until I've see reviews and the price has dropped. No reason to pay top dollar if the price is going to drop drastically in a few months.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. natho49

natho49 New Member

To be honest, I think it will only last a few months until the new sony phone will take over. Technology, especially mobile phones, are chagning and upgrading so quickly s that means phones won't stay up there for too long.

15. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

As others have said, I expect it to last until something bigger and better takes over the market. It seems that this market, the one of mobile phones, is a really volatile one, and it seems that it bases itself mostly on the "The king is dead, long live the king!" ideology.

That being said, I give it about 4 more months until it goes belly up.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

For the consumer, I think in some ways it's a good thing that people always want to be able to buy the best that's available. It keeps the phone manufacturers on their toes and means they're constantly trying to improve their devices.

I do think though that they need to reign in the release dates. A new device every year is more than enough.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think that even a device every year is kind of too much for the pace the phone technology is advancing at the moment but still, it's not a bad thing. I remember when Sony were putting out 2 flagships a year on the market and people became furious because their phone isn't the "latest thing".

18. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

A lot depends on the models of the phones aswell. If they're releasing the same phone, just with a slightly updated specification then for me that's not right. What a lot of manufacturers will do though is release different models across their entire range, so people have the option of picking a device that suits their lifestyle.

19. akko

akko New Member

Not for too long. In my opinion, it will die over by next year. Reason is, while the S6 is a huge improvement from the previous Samsung models, technology is growing so rapidly these days that by next year they will be forced to come out with a new version. This is just to keep up with the latest trends and technology.

20. David Lopez

David Lopez Member

The phone will last long but their will be new phone will arrive. Technology is rapidly growing i think next year their will be a new model of samsung lines.