How do you protect your phone?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by Kyler, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Hello guys,

Knowing that there are viruses and hackers out there abusing certain phones and Android bugs that haven't been yet fixed on certain versions, what do you do about it? What programs do you use to protect your phone and could you please recommend some? Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

There's lots of antivirus software available to download, and most of them are free aswell. At the moment I'm using 360 security but they all do roughly the same job and to the same capabilities.

It's just whichever one suits you the most.

Kyler likes this.
  4. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Thank you pwarbl, great advice, I think I got Avast security on my phone and I'm quite happy with it as it does the job pretty well.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Avast is probably one of the most popular choices of antivirus, as you can tell by the amount of downloads it got from the play store.

A lot of people want to use one program if they can to protect all their devices, I used to use AVG to protect the smartphone, tablet, laptop and PC until I found the program was coming with more and more features that I didn't use.

6. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I understand. I used AVG before and I can relate to it. It's like, it has a lot that you don't actually use, so why have it to begin with, when you can do all what it does by yourself if you needed it to be done, if that makes sense.

7. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

As long as you know what you're doing with your Android device, you don't really need any antivirus or related apps. All they're going to do for users (that know how to remain safe by default) is use system resources and cause sluggish performance. I know it's possible, but I've never seen a friend or acquaintance with a virus or malware on their Android device.

Kyler likes this.
  8. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

That's actually a bit true, but in terms of malware and viruses, they do exist. There's people who even keylog phones, you can look all that up. I think it's good to be extra cautious.

9. GenevB

GenevB New Member

As a person who has some knowledge in hacking I can tell you that no matter what antivirus you use for your phone, you are still very open to attacks. Usually the only way your phone is being attacked is by being actually targeted by someone who has something personal on you, or who knows you have something valuable stocked in your phone data and wants to steal it. There are a lot of exploits which can be used from the wi-fi and bluetooth signal to a photo received from whatsapp app. The antiviruses for smartphones are very outdated because there are very few viruses. If someone wants to come and destroy/steal your personal information, that someone will find a way pretty easy with or without you having an anti-virus on your phone.

10. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I guess you're right, but you would have to let him have access by downloading a file he has probably produced, so it's not that easy by one click to have access, it takes a deceitful person to play a game on someone.

11. GenevB

GenevB New Member

Usually people find their way pretty easy, if it someone you know, he might get the file himself when you are not taking care of your phone like if you let it on the desk at school. Otherwise he might just hack another person who is close to you phone or mail to get to you, or even through the wi-fi signal he can exploit some weaknesses. There are a lot of ways, so if someone really wants to, he will find a way to hack you.

12. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

If that was true, the banking system would collapse and people would hack millions of dollars in existence. It's built for security and the only way they would get a hold of it is by doing stuff to the hardware or getting a hold of it, which a smart person probably won't leave his phone sitting on a desk. But it takes a really smart person like Bill Gates to do such a thing, not just anyone.

13. AlexKid

AlexKid Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I always ensure that I never have any valuable information on any of my phones. And have never used a phone for any online transactions or internet banking. Phones are far from secure and are easy targets for hackers, not that computers aren't either. But there are several more ways to secure a computer as opposed to a smart phone. Another important thing is never to leave your phone just lying around, see so many people do this and it's just asking for trouble.

IcyBC likes this.
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I feel the same way and not using my phone for banking or buying anything. The screen is not only so much smaller for me to see the entire picture, it is also hard to navigate. I also have a bad habit of forgetting my phone a couple of times already so I don't even trust myself :)

15. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I think I do have a lot of valuable information on my phone, I do not worry because what is valuable for me or you might not be for somebody else. Obviously, it's not banking but pictures it is.

16. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I have never downloaded any antivirus for my phones or tablet. I remember panicking whenever my computer or laptop has its antivirus expired. But with my phone, I have never tried installing an antivirus on it. I tend to be careful of sites I access on my phone and only go to ones that I know are safe. I also do not save passwords in it and always clean my cache. Thankfully, these things have worked for now. But having an antivirus is a sure way to protect the phone so I will have to look into the suggestion in this thread.

17. Nattybatty

Nattybatty New Member

I currently don't use any anti-virus software on my phone o_Oo_O Umm, I'm not very savvy in that dept. This thread made me realize that maybe I should look one up. Thanks for all the information guys!;)

18. David Lopez

David Lopez Member

Protecting a phone is like protecting your PC. By installing antivirus. Usually i scan my phone to protect against intruders and regularly clearing cache in my browser after i use it. And be aware on what to open site.

19. David Bullock

David Bullock New Member

Yes, people should keep Antivirus software in their phone to do malware detection.

20. David Bullock

David Bullock New Member

There are lots of antivirus software available for Android in the play store that helps to wipe out viruses from your phone.