How do you decide what phone to purchase?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Miaka_M, May 9, 2015.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

When purchasing a new phone its always difficult to decide what would be better for you. What do you pay attention to when you are purchasing a new phone? The first thing that I look at is the brand and what their reputation is. If its good, then I continue to look into a phone and how it looks. The specs come last but I prefer a large memory. What about you?

2. Loading...

3. snowmanpoint88

snowmanpoint88 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Well, first, I read reviews. I only purchase a new phone when necessary. So, I make sure that what I will get will be worth every penny. I prefer long battery life and large memory. I don't really care about the quality of the camera or whether or not it has those other fancy features. I am not really big on installing apps (other than games).

4. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I tend to stick to the one brand and when deciding the model I read up on what the opinion is of the latest ones available and go from there. Memory is quite a big point, after all the more the better, but it isn't really a deal-breaker. As long as it's expandable via Micro SD then I'm not really too concerned with the on board memory.

5. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I stick to my budget and what I really need the phone for. I tend to be out in the field more often and it gets dirty. So I need a rugged phone that can take a licking. I use to buy only military grade phones that could be dropped and waterproof but now a days its all about touch screen and sophistication. Hard to find something that will last a long time in rough conditions.

shahtt likes this.
  6. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Fall back on a Nokia 3310. Those things were indestructible! :D

What sort of military grade phones did you get? I never knew there was such a thing.

7. adfnio

adfnio New Member

8. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I actually had that Motorola phone awhile back. That is by far the best phone I ever had. You could throw it against the wall and it would still work like a charm. Rain proof also. I wouldn't try to go deep sea diving with it. Water will eventually find a way in.

9. GenevB

GenevB New Member

For me choosing what phone I want to purchase consists in a few factors, first I go and search the internet for specifications, after my list is down to a few phone I go online and watch reviews, after I cut a few more phones I go on to forums and ask different people what would be more worth, and in the end the phone I like the most from what I have left on my list (usually only 2 or 3 phones left to pick) is the one I'm going to buy.

10. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

When I'm looking for a new phone I base on the references that my friends and family members have given me about certain phone, if they convince me, I look for reviews online, And the people who make the reviews usually mention the details about the phone, their experiences with it, etc. So the internet has a big influence on me when it comes to buy things!

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Before purchasing a phone, I would make a bit of research first about what is the most ideal phone to use nowadays: specs, memory, and features included. Then after that, I would choose the phones on the list that would perfectly suit my budget and then that's when I will decide which one is to buy.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I read a lot of reviews, and by a lot I seriously mean A LOT. I do my research very in depth before I splurge a large amount of cash on a new phone since no one's rushing me so I can just take my time and weigh the differences between my choices.

13. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

When purchasing a phone, I look for the durability of the phone, the feel in my hand, what it has to offer, and its functionality. If the phone has everything I need and sometimes want, then I would go for it. It doesn't matter if it is Android or iPhone.

14. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The first consideration is who the provider will be, and whether the phone will work on their network. From there, it's a matter of sorting through which ones are available, and how they correlate with my needs. Price is always a consideration these days, as well as quality and longevity. I'm in it for the long haul, since I don't switch phones or devices often, so I want to make sure it has what I will need for at least a few years to come. Camera IS a major consideration for me, since although I use my real camera to take product pictures, I often also take pictures with my device, to post on Instagram and sometimes other sites/apps, as well. It can be a real time saver doing it that way. Being able to replace the battery myself is helpful, since I don't have the time or money to keep taking it to the shop if there's a battery issue. A good processor, with as much RAM as possible, and able to accept storage cards are also important considerations for me.

15. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Well I previously had a BlackBerry Z10 and I had it for about 2 years, but in the last 6 months of me owning the phone the patch's that were being released were horrible and kept ruining the phone so I had enough, my contract was coming to an end anyway so I started looking at new phones. I didn't want another BlackBerry, nor did I want a iPhone as I hate Apple. I didn't want a Windows phone because they are awful to, so it left me to the Android range. I looked at the Samsung and it looked horrible and it left me with the HTC M9 which I ended up buying out right so no need to pay monthly etc.

I looked into the spec, looked into the battery, and what version of Android it had and loads of reviews said it was an awesome phone!

16. linguini

linguini New Member

It is quite overwhelming doing your own research and quite overwhelming to get lots of options and the elimination process might be a bit of a challenge. I am not fond of upgrading my gadgets every now and then because that will take another getting used to the new phone. Just in case I will be on the search for a new mobile phone the first thing I have to make sure of is that the choice should be relevant even after a few years otherwise I will find myself upgrading again and again

17. Serena Claire

Serena Claire New Member

The most important thing is the price.

18. ealltech

ealltech New Member

I do my research very in depth before I splurge a large amount of cash on a new phone since no one's rushing me so I can just take my time and weigh the differences between my choices.

19. David Lopez

David Lopez Member

I tend to stick with my budget lol. So i can only average phone. Usually i do research first and then compare them to others phones.

20. AishaNegi

AishaNegi New Member

While purchasing a smartphone, I always look on these features....
    1) RAM
    2) Operating System
    3) Battery - most imp
    4) Camera
    5) Display
    I have recently bought Gionee Marathon M5 and these features are also important for me... BTW my top requirement was battery so I purchased this phone... It has 6020 mAh battery

21. David Lopez

David Lopez Member

Nice post well said, i usually check that 5 when purchasing but sometimes the budget is real tough for me.