How big is too big for your tablets?

Discussion in 'Android Tablets' started by GunSlinger, Jul 9, 2015.

1. GunSlinger

GunSlinger New Member

Hello lovers of smartphones and tablets.
    I'm here with a question for you all.

How big is too big for your tablets?

Tablets come in many different sizes. Some are small, some are big and some in middle. As time passes, screen sizes become bigger and bigger, but at what at size do you think will it stop? At what size will makers think "This screen size is too big for normal use."?

Give me your answers below.

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

With a keyboard dock, tablets can get as big as they want up to about 17", which is the usual for large laptops. Tablets haven't really gotten bigger in the last couple years. You're wrong about that. Most tablets come out at 7-inch, 8-inch, 9-inch, and 10-inch versions, though 2-in-1 laptops that are also tablets can go as big as 14". What matters more with larger tablets is the OS that it's running. Anything over 10 inches should be running an actual operating system instead of a mobile OS.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

At first, I thought an 8" tablet would be just right for me. When I compared and actually held them though, I realized a 7" would be better, since it would be easier to hold. I'm not looking for something the size of a laptop. I'm still trying to get used to the size of the 7", as it seems large to me, because I'm used to a smaller device.

5. ashencoast

ashencoast New Member

Same here. For me, anything bigger than that just doesn't feel right without a keyboard. I also like being able to hold a tablet like a stationary, but my hands are on the small side so my perfect size is about 7". Anything smaller is a little uncomfortable to use, especially for handwriting. I would actually replace my phone with a tablet if it didn't look so awkward holding something that big up to my ear.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

I owned both a 10 inch and 8 inch tablet and I think I prefer the 10 inch tablet. I thought I'd be fine with a 8 inch tablet but once I actually got it, I had to be too close to use it effectively. It's nice having it be a little bit more compact, but it's not small enough to the point where you could easily slip it into your pocket and walk somewhere; you still need to put in a safe place. I was a little bit more careless with the 10 inch one because it had some weight to it and it didn't feel as though I'd damage it if I slipped it into a backpack. I am currently happy with the 8 inch tablet but believe that tablets shouldn't get anymore than 10 inch unless they're for artistic purposes (like as a drawing pad or something).

If anyone is interested, I heard that Japan has developed interactive holograms that are safe to handle. Holograms were possible before but they burnt you because they're essentially light shot out of a laser. Using some special technique that I'm not qualified to explain, they produced touch sensitive images. Who knows, it might be in the market as an alternative in a few years. Having a screen projected from a small phone or usb-like device may not be very far off in our future.

7. Techpreneur

Techpreneur New Member

I think the ultimate answer would be when they start getting to the point of lacking portability and becoming more like a standard monitor. Also, depending on your particular use it can tend to distort the image and since some tablets can be oddly shaped, the size could actual make the visual experience tremendously worse. It would probably depend of course on the particular individuals preference though to know for sure what kind of right for the particular individual

8. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I like my 8 inches tablet as it fit perfectly in my purse. I can manage to have this to work with on the go, but at home, I prefer to be on my laptop. My tablet has a real separate keyboard, so it functions like a little laptop, only lighter.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

@IcyBC Is that the iPad Mini? I don't think I'd want to go much larger than 8" for a tablet. For anything larger than that, I'd just as soon sit at the computer, or watch the television, depending on what I'm doing. I'm finding that even the 7" can sometimes be difficult for me to hold for an extended length of time.

IcyBC likes this.
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Oh mine is the iPad air, not the mini one and I am not sure it is the mini one. I really bad as knowing the specs of my devices and often got them all mixed up. I can't deal with small screen or the way they function. Laptop for me is the best thing :)

11. Zimbitt

Zimbitt New Member

I like the 8 inch ones, small enough to be portable and not in the way, but still big enough to accomplish everything that I need to get done.