Have you rooted your phone?

Discussion in 'HTC' started by JoshK, Jul 14, 2015.

1. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Simple question - Have you rooted your M9 and if so why?

I haven't rooted my phone simply because mine is still fairly new and I know that if I root it then it will invalidate the warranty and sods law, once I do that something will happen to the phone. So that's one reason why I don't want to root my phone. Another reason is I just don't see much need for me to do so, I've been using this phone with no problems and don't see why I would need to do so. Another reason is that there is not many rooting guides out there for the M9 and out of the ones that are, they are quite confusing and long.

Saying that, in the future I may decide to root it but for now, I won't

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2. Loading...

3. k9cb

k9cb New Member

I haven't rooted, but at this point, I'm kind of looking to. I never really felt a need to root my phones in the past, and was always worried about how complex and problematic it seemed. The warranty issues you mentioned were also a concern.

Now, my phone is a little older, I'm eligible for an upgrade in a few months, and there are some things I'd like to tweak or customize - I'm not a fan of some changes that came with Lollipop. I figure, why not. It might be fun. I was also under the impression that there were ways to keep from voiding the warranty, no? I don't actually have an HTC, so maybe it's a little different.

4. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

From everywhere I've been reading people have said it voids your warranty and if you had a problem with your phone and took it back to the retailer to get it looked at or fixed then they apparently won't always fix it or will fix it but it will cost money, because it's been rooted. So that's a reason why I haven't rooted mine, maybe later on down the line I may decide to root it but not at the moment.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Don't worry about your warranty since once you root it you'll easily be able to unroot it (via SuperSU) and the manufacturer will not even know what you did. I suggest you root your device and also take a look at Xposed Installer. You're missing out on a lot of useful things! :p

6. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I think I saw something somewhere which said that manufacturers would still be able to see if the phone has been rooted, even if it has been unrooted.

What exactly would I be missing out on as I assume you've rooted yours?

7. k9cb

k9cb New Member

What @FuZyOn said is what I've always heard. You can simply unroot your phone so your warranty is again valid. I have also heard that some roots for some phones won't even cause your phone to lose a warranty, but I'm not entirely sure which that would be or how it would work. If you are looking to root, just make sure that specific root is reversible and that it won't void your warranty. Any credible source is going to provide you with that information.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I haven't rooted any of my devices and I haven't really had any issue. For me it doesn't really seem to be worth doing because if the root isn't done properly then there's always a chance that you could brick the phone.

When I weigh up the advantage a rooted device as over the standard one, it's not really worth taking the risk in my opinion.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Samsung is the only one that has some kind of plugin in their phones that can track if you rooted your phone or not, but that can also be bypassed pretty easily too.
    Greenify and Amplify are both good rooted apps that can increase your battery life by a long margin. You can also tweak your phone with GravityBox and AdBlock is pretty good to have.

10. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Now you've said it, that rings a bell. I think I read something while looking at rooting, that Samsung phones can be tracked to see if they have been rooted or not.

I've heard of these apps but think it's best if I look into it more and see what others have said to!

11. sixxup

sixxup New Member

Mine is also new. I have never considered rooting it. What should I consider before rooting it?

12. Serena Claire

Serena Claire New Member

No. because there is a great possibility that you may lost files after root.