Got Sex Offenders? (App To Help Locate Them)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Diane Lane, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I used to work with children, and their parents were always amazed when I would get on the computer with them and show them all of the sex offenders living in the vicinity of where they lived, or where their children went to school, or played.

I was looking around last night in the app store, since I've got a new device, and found an app called Safe Neighborhood. It's in the Google Play store, but I'm sure there's an Apple version, as well, and maybe also a Windows one, although i'm not entirely sure about that. If not, they should work on developing one.

I don't have children, but I have friends and neighbors who do have children and grandkids, and since I downloaded the app, I decided to look in the area, to see where the sex offenders are living. As expected, they seem to congregate in certain areas, but I also found out that there's one living 2 streets over from me.

It's important to realize that not everyone who is a registered sex offender presents a danger, or a serious danger, to you or your family members and other loved ones, and if you click on the picture, it will bring up additional information that can give you an idea of the nature of their offenses.

Someone can be a registered sex offender for pulling over to urinate, and if someone drives by and reports it, especially if they have a child in the vehicle, it can cause a lot of difficulty for the person, so it's important if you need to do your business, to do it in a place where you won't be observed.

Another questionable situation can be where teens engage in consensual sex, and the parents press charges, so it's important not to freak out if you do see that someone is on the registry, but do a little further checking, then proceed accordingly.

If you're in Texas, there's also a Texas DPS (Department of Public Safety) app that enables you to also look at sex offenders, as well as most wanted fugitives, and other information.

IcyBC likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

While the app is a pretty good idea for parents being mindful of where they live and where their kids play, it does give me one concern and that's people who live in the heat of the moment. I am in no way condoning sex offending, I fear that someone might get on there, see there is one registered quite close to them and exact a vigilante style attack, regardless as to why the person was a registered offender.

4. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Yes, but the technology has been available for years now, so if that were to occur, I think it would have happened by now. I wouldn't rule out isolated incidents, especially from the families of those who have been victimized, and am actually pretty surprised we haven't heard of it happening more, but I don't think it's something that will happen en masse.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

That's true. Sometimes people would take the law into their own hands and do something murderous out of spite. I think not all sex offenders are mean or generally bad people. I think most of them have just been misunderstood. But anyway, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

6. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

With an app of it though I'm guessing it would bring the technology more to the eye of the general public. There was an incident that happened several weeks ago but I think a lot of that was down to alcohol as well.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It is good to know and aware of your surrounding for sure! My neighbor and I used to check online for offenders in our neighborhood just to make sure the kids are safe. We found a young guy lived right at the end of our street. No one has to do anything about him because he went back to his old way and got caught.

I just think the safest way is to be with your young children when they are outside to play! This app is useful for anyone who wants to check out their neighborhood.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Do you have a link to the story about the incident? I'm interested to read it, if you can find a link. Even though there seem to be a lot of stories in the news about sex offenders, and the technology has been around, and now there are apps, I still don't see most people using them, or even thinking about how to find out who is living in their neighborhoods and whether they are predators. I think many, if not most people prefer to pretend that everything is o.k., and not think about bad things that can happen.

I could see one person or a group, using the app or website to target a person or persons, especially if someone they know had been affected, and there was alcohol or other substances involved. Those substances tend to bring out false bravado and stupidity, as we see so often when watching or reading the news.

9. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

10. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Eww, yes, this is slightly different than finding a random sex offender in your neighborhood on an app or website, and he wasn't someone who'd be on a list for no good reason, or a one time offense. It sounds as if this guy had ongoing issues. Is the case big over there? It sounds as if it is, or should be, anyway. It doesn't state whether she's related to any of the victims, but if not, there's definitely something that set her off. Based on his past history, and that he was on trial again, he likely would have kept offending. The same probably would have happened here in the U.S., whether with knife or gun. I'm actually surprised so many parents show the restraint they do.

11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My neighborhood isn't the safest place for children to roam around by themselves, but some still do! Many of them are drunk before the sun even comes up, and drug addicts for both prescriptions and the illegal ones. When taking my son to school at 7:15 AM in the winter, we watched this guy crawling in the middle of the street, which was icy and wet, catching his beer cans. It was't a good site to see, but my son knew that he can't be outside alone or walk down toward where the guy's house was.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

@IcyBC It's so disappointing to know that individuals and families have to deal with things like that. Several of the people here in my current neighborhood are no angels, but we know who they are, and keep our eyes open for them. The last place I lived had been in the past, a somewhat more upscale section of Houston, and the street was a dead end, but there started being incidents a few streets over, assaults, at least one rape, there was a 'park' for families and kids to play in, and that became the spot for drug transactions. There were a lot of halfway houses in the general vicinity up there, which means people getting out of prison, who are on parole, stay there for a period after release. I didn't feel safe, so I moved back down here.