Google Nexus 6 vs. Google Nexus 5

Discussion in 'Google Nexus' started by japanesewaterbottle, May 5, 2015.

1. japanesewaterbottle

japanesewaterbottle New Member

I've been trying to decide whether to buy the Google Nexus 6 some time in the future or the Google Nexus 5 now. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? Obviously, the Nexus 6 is bigger, but it's also more expensive.

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Those are pretty much the two factors that you'll base your decision upon, price and size. The N6 gets better battery life and has a better processor, but the N5 is smaller and is still quite the capable device. They're fairly similar devices when you get down to the experience and ignore screen size, though. I'd go with the Nexus 6 for that battery life and screen size boost, without a doubt.

4. japanesewaterbottle

By "fairly similar", do you mean that the spec difference isn't noticeable at all? Can I, for instance, play a resource-heavy game on both phones and not notice a difference?

If the only advantages of the Nexus 6 are battery life and the screen size boost, then I would probably go with the Nexus 5.

5. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

During heavy multitasking and heavy usage, the Nexus 6 will show some extra oomph and speed compared to the Nexus 5. In every day usage running a handful of apps, both phones are going to run fast with few differences in performance. The Nexus 6 has a better GPU, but you'll notice that more in benchmarks than you will real-life performance (unless playing the latest, GPU intensive games). Most people won't use the devices "hard enough" throughout the day to notice major differences.

6. japanesewaterbottle

Considering that my phone usage habits are pretty similar to that of the average user, and that I only play resource-heavy games a few times a month, it's looking like the Nexus 5 is a better option for me. I'm definitely part of the "most people" category in this case. Thanks for helping me decide.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I have to agree, for an everyday user, you won't see a great deal of difference between the 6 and the 5. The nexus 5 is a long way off being extinct aswell so you'll definitely be able to get the support for a long time yet aswell.

That's sometimes something to look at, if the device your getting will still continue to be supported by the manufacturer and in this case that's nothing to worry about.

8. japanesewaterbottle

How do you know that it's nothing to worry about, though? Did Google provide some sort of guarantee that they'll continue supporting the older Nexus devices for the years to come? How do we know that Google won't up and say that they'll give up support for the older devices?

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The nexus 5 is still a fairly new device. While they haven't given any cast iron guarantees, even Google aren't foolish enough to cut off half their customers.

I'd say that many more people will have the 5 as opposed to the 6 so if they stopped the updates now, their would be an almighty backlash.

10. japanesewaterbottle

That's a good point. Google probably won't do that in the next couple of years, at least. I think Apple would actually be more likely to do that as opposed to Google. I still hate how they stop giving updates to their (still capable) older devices. But that's another topic entirely. :)