Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge Underperforming In Sales

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by teamxxlp, May 26, 2015.

1. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

In its first month, the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge shipped a mere 10 million units. That's great for any smartphone company, but it's a million less than the S5 did last year. That's a huge letdown for Samsung after doing such a radical redesign, and some of the blame has to go to taking away everything Android fans loved about the Galaxy S line. The devices are pretty and all, but it's not what consumers want.

In comparison, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sold 10 million units in its first weekend alone.

2. Loading...

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think you got your facts straight. The S6 pre-orders were as many as 40 million devices. Of course, Samsung is not going to overcome Apple in terms of sales because of the ecosystem but they've definitely sold more than that.

4. TPhoenix

TPhoenix New Member

Whie it appears that Samsung is not quite up to the range of sales that they had hoped for to capitalize in business, these S6 devices are surely more expensive than any of their previous phones and along with the new storage option prices, will probably bring in some increased revenue. Still, this is disappointing to hear depending on how accurate the information is. I hope that more sales pick up as the months go by and they finish the year with much more respectable figures next to the predecessors.

5. snowmanpoint88

snowmanpoint88 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It has been reported last year that Samsung is experiencing losses in the mobile phone sector. I guess it's because more and more people can now afford iOS devices. I do hope that Samsung comes up with better, affordable devices. I will always be a fan of Android devices. :)

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

7. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Are you kidding? There's a gigantic difference between pre-orders and units sold. Everyone in every industry knows that. A pre-order doesn't even mean that the unit was paid for in advance in full, which is why the device sold 10 million, a mere fraction of the pre-order amounts, in its first month. Why would you talk about pre-orders when there are actual, bona fide sales figures out already?

Also, both of those articles state that the 20 million units were sold to RETAILERS. That has nothing to do with how many units consumers actually bought. Nice try.

8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Member

I'm not surprised. The galaxy S5 was a mistake in my eyes. The water resistancy was a joke because the water resistant covers were popping right off. Now they try to launch a phone that looks and feels like an iPhone. If I wanted limited memory and a glass back and front I would have just gotten an iPhone. Samsung has fallen off in my eyes and if it wasn't for the Note I would move on completely.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think a few people have said that Samsung have recently started to stagnate when it comes to developing their handsets. I think one of the biggest problems is they're trying to compete with the iPhone instead of just concentrating on its own market.