Future of Technology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ApexBlue, Jul 14, 2015.

1. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

Hello everyone. With Google Glasses in development, the Oculus Rift showing promise and the recent creation of interactive hologram technology, I am curious about what others think will happen to phones and technology within the near future.

A couple of questions I have are:

- How receptive are you to augmented reality via Google Glasses?

- How often would you use or think you would use your Oculus Rift?

- Would you carry around a holographic device?

- And lastly but perhaps most importantly, what applications would you look forward to with these devices?

I'd imagine since Facebook owns the Oculus Rift, they would try and combine the two creating a virtual, interactive space for you once you log into facebook. With a simple turn of your neck, you can browse through profiles, view images and become engulfed in a new interactive plane.

I'd also imagine that there will be a slow but gradual move to own Google Glasses over a phone. If it's capable of doing everything a phone can do but sit comfortably upon your face, I can see a market that will start with the tech savvy and make it's way through to the masses. Admittedly, there would still be a need for phones but I can see cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts using the glasses over phones.

Since the "Fairy Lights" is still being developed, I think that it'll be the last thing to enter our lives. Maybe they'll show up as small tech gifts that you buy your co-workers at first but can eventually be incorporated into a replacement screen for monitors. Lastly, I can imagine a small USB or phone sized device that projects an interactive screen for you and can function as a portable computer.

I also predict that the video game industry will receive another big boom. Games that could never have been conceived of before are going to appear one after another. Simulators of all kinds are going to possible from the comfort of your own homes. Ever wanted to talk on the moon? Go diving with whales? All of this will be possible with augmented or virtual reality...

Assuming that our resources won't run out any time soon, what are you looking forward to? Any thoughts? Concerns?

Source: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-07/03/haptic-japanese-holograms

2. Loading...

3. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

You know what, this is very good question and I suppose it's one that gets you thinking.

I think that augmented reality like the oclus rift will become more common but I don't know if there will software around that will be compatible with it. Even if there is compatible software for it, will people actually use it?

I don't think I'd use it to be honest, the price is pretty steep. I just don't see it as my cup of tea so I doubt I'd ever get it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

4. theGIJST

theGIJST New Member

I am not sure. It all depends on the price, and how common they are. If I'm going to spend a fortune to play virtual reality games, or watch movies even, then no thanks. And even if the price is affordable, and nobody carries it around with them, I won't either. I'll just use them in my home. I don't want to be a trend-setter, and I'd probably look like a nerd to everyone.

However, I would like to try out the Oculus Rift. I have been a gamer for many, many years, and that is something that I think all gamers have wanted for a long time. Being able to experience games, like you are there. I'm sure there are going to be many games that are either Oculus Rift only or with the support for it. However, one con about it is that you probably won't be able to play for long. I'm sure we'd get dizzy from playing it for a long time. One more thing, if I'm playing something with Oculus Rift, how do I turn around? Do I have to turn around myself? Does that mean I have to play standing up? Doesn't sound very comfortable. :p

5. hosewalker

hosewalker New Member

I think that Google Glass is a great idea and augmented reality will become a big part of our lives. I would like to own an Oculus Rift one day because they seem very fun to play around with. I would carry a holographic device if it was small enough, if it was built into my phone for example. I look forward to playing video games on these devices, augmented reality would make them so much more immersive.