Fixing Wifi issues with latest update

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by turt, Apr 22, 2015.

1. turt

turt New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    Has anyone figured out how to fix the wifi issue with the latest update to Android on Verizon?

I've searched online and haven't found a single fix. It works fine on certain routers but not on others. On the routers it has issues with, it will take 30 seconds to load a web page across all browsers. Yet on 4G or other routers, it will takes a second or two. On top of that, the slow routers will get 30Mbps upload speed and 15Mbps download with speedtest.

I'm only stuck with this phone for another month but this issue is driving me crazy!

Thanks

2. Loading...

3. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    Could you explain further on whether the wireless connection that you're trying to connect to is 5GHz or 2.4GHz frequency?

4. turt

turt New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    I'm not sure - Here is the data sheet from Verizon but it doesn't list anything in that frequency range:

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Datasheet_MI424WR_Rev.E_Verizon_FiOS_Router.pdf

It does the same thing on most public wi-fi areas. Of course, it's hard to know what they are using. It's just strange how it was never a problem until the latest update.

5. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    The problem with frequencies is that if it was 5 Ghz, it would make sense why it would load the page slowly and sometimes it doesn't even load it. Normally you have to be really close the router's position if you're on a 5 Ghz frequency connection, if it was 2.4 Ghz then you can connect anywhere with at least one point signal. You might want to check your routers actual settings, or contact your ISP and ask them about what frequency you use and how you can change it to make 2.4 Ghz only available or separate them both so you would be able to tell when you have to be close to the router, or be far away from it and connect to the 2.4 Ghz frequency. I don't think software update is related since they don't go far with working with the WiFi's software since there's only a few options in WiFi connections that are about security, and frequencies and hotspots. I hope you get it sorted, let me know what happens.

turt likes this.
  6. turt

turt New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    I found that the router is 2.4 ghz. What else do you think could cause the problem? I also have same problem with my neighbors wifi with the phone with a different FIOS router.

Thanks for you help!

7. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    Could you explain further, when you connect to the WiFi connection, does it actually connect? and how many signals does it show?

8. turt

turt New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    It connects no problem, will show 4 arcs but webpages just won't load in less than 30 seconds regardless of browser. I can't find any settings on the phone to really make any changes either. Like I said, the speed test app gets 14 down and 30 up. Strange but it's normal for my FIOS to have higher upload speeds.

9. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    I see. I think you should take it to be checked by a professional, he then can diagnose the problem. But before you do that, did you try actually resetting your phone, and then trying to connect to the internet?

10. turt

turt New Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Male
    Well, now my internet is back to speed with the upgrade to 5.0! Too bad I only have to keep this phone for less than a month... It amazes me that problems like this persist for so long yet Verizon/Samsung do nothing about it.

11. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Male
    I guess it could of been a glitch or a bug that was fixed with the new version, they do a lot of fixes.