Does your HTC M9 overheat?

Discussion in 'HTC' started by GavinGimbo, Jun 12, 2015.

1. GavinGimbo

GavinGimbo Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Hello everyone!

I would like answer to my uncertainty from you fellow people who holds an HTC One M9.

Watching review videos, everybody mentions on and on about how the Snapdragon 810 overheats.

But I what I want to know is, is it really that bad? I'm talking about normal web browsing and watching movies constantly.

Let me know your experiences!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by pwarbi, Jun 13, 2015

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

All devices will get warm to a certain extent, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're overheating though.

I've had an M9 since the day it came out and I have to say I've never had any problems with it in that respect. If that's one thing putting you off buying the device then you won't have anything to worry about.

4. GavinGimbo

Recognized Member

Thanks for your reply! That's good to know!

I understand that any phone overheats, however I just wanted to know clearly since many complain about the Snapdragon 810. The issue with the processor is the reason why I was curious on whether the HTC M9 face the same. It probably doesn't get too hot due to the metallic body dissipating heat.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

You'd think that but unfortunately I've found it works the opposite. Like I said, it never really gets hot as such, but because it's got a metal body, you do feel the heat a little more than you would normally.

GavinGimbo likes this.
  6. GavinGimbo

Recognized Member

Alrighty, thanks for info!

I actually just found out from a friend that his brother's getting the M9 this week soon. So I guess I'll check out the phone. It's great that One series comes armed up with a metal body, something that I prefer over plastic any day!

7. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

The overheating issues are a real problem with the Snapdragon 810, but that doesn't mean all users are going to experience it. All phones get warm to some degree, and a device only overheats when it gets so hot that the device automatically shuts down. Chances are somewhat slim that you'll ever deal with the issue unless you're doing some crazy things with your device.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Well that's worked out well, I think it's always better to test something out yourself aswell as just going off other peoples reviews. If your already an android user then you should enjoy using the M9. It's not as refined as the Samsung's but in my opinion it's not too far off.

The price difference is also something not to be ignored either.

9. GavinGimbo

Recognized Member

I'll take a look a it. I might as well wait a little longer until November or so for the prices to go down. There should new devices releasing during that time, and so I can then maybe make a solid choice.

Thanks again! :)

pwarbi likes this.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Did you end up going with the M9 in the end? It's a very good device. Sure, it may overheat a little bit more than the others due to the bad architecture of the CPU but it's no biggie.

11. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Hi Gavin

I've got a M9 and have noticed that it does get warm. As you've said you've seen complaints about the processor, so have I but haven't really experienced any problems with it at all except that it gets slightly warm.

As others have said though, it probably is it as hot as you think due to the metal casing which just spreads the heat, although I've got a case on it and it still feels warm, but not to a level which I think it's actually over heating.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Like what's been already mentioned, there's a big difference between a device getting warm, and it overheating. The phone in theory should be able to handle everything you want it to do, and all at the same time, so you can watch a movie or play games and charge the phone all at the same time, obviously though this is going to impact on the amount of heat generated.

GavinGimbo likes this.
  13. GavinGimbo

Recognized Member

I have actually decided to wait a little longer until December due to the new devices coming up. We are after all already in the month of August.

Thanks for your comment @JoshK! I see. Heat does generate with the M9 for sure. I have played with one more than once now, and I do feel the temperature rising, but as you said, not to the extent that it feels it's going to overheat. Thank you very much for pointing this out!

14. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The only time for sure that it overheats is if I'm using it to play processor intensive games (Real Racing 3) is one of them.

15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yeah, that's no real issue since every phone heats up under intensive use. The M9 is still a pretty good device, but it just lost to the competition this year.