Does iPhone Need Antivirus software On It?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IcyBC, May 18, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I am using Avast Antivirus protection on my Window laptop, and once in a while it told me that I could use this protection on my phone.

I have heard that Apple hardly ever get virus or hack into, but I am not sure that this is true. This is the first time I have an iPhone and iPad. So far, they are wonderful and I would love to keep it this way. My question is do I need to have Antivirus software on my iPhone?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by Kyler, Jun 5, 2015

3. fletcher0124

fletcher0124 New Member

You will not need any anti-virus for your iPhone! don't worry about it at all. Laptops and phones are very different and if you did need some kind of protection for your phone there are more well suited softwares out there.

IcyBC likes this.
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Thank you for your advice! I have asked other people who use Apple products all their lives about antivirus, but none of them said that they ever need one, which is a great thing in my book.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I definitely agree with what fletcher said. You do not need an antivirus protectio program for iphones and I believe that it goes for all phones as well. You are also right when you say that Apple hardly ever gets a virus. I've had my Mac for about 4 years now and I've never had a virus on it before. There are things that claim to "clean your mac" that IS a virus, so never download anything on it.

6. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Good to know! This is my very first time owning anything Apple, and so far I like it! I need to save up money to buy a laptop just to avoid the virus, pop up, and spy war or something like that. My HP is now overheat and is only two years old.

7. blumenkranz

blumenkranz New Member

I'd just like to add onto it and say as long as you keep iOS up to date, you should be good. Apple's security for their phones is pretty exceptional, and waiting so long in between jailbreak releases is proof of this. I'm not sure if I could say the same for Android since not all phones get the latest update pushed to them. You should be fine :)

edit: Mac's aren't invincible. Windows is just more common and prone to exploits since the user base is wider.

IcyBC likes this.
  8. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

The truth of the matter is you don't need an antivirus anywhere, even on your PC because it has built in firewall, it's a matter of keeping it clean by yourself. Even if you had an anti virus, you are vulnerable to getting viruses. I would recommend you to be careful what you do on it, what you download and files you open. I don't think it's necessary to have an anti virus, sometimes it's subjective, it might hurt by sucking a lot of RAM while it's running in the background, sometimes it might help by being light if you have good enough specifications. Is it important to have one? No. Is it important to take care of what you do on it? Absolutely. Is it helpful to have one? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Is it hurtful to have one? That's subjective.

IcyBC likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

This is a question with a lot of different answers, depending on who you talk to. Some say it's not needed, others say it's a must that you have some sort of protection. I'd also say the former with a phone, I don't think it is needed to be honest, I've certainly never had any problems and I don't know anybody who has.

IcyBC likes this.
  10. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Phones need antivirus protection a lot less than computers, but it's a misnomer that Apple's operating systems, both desktop and mobile, don't get viruses or malware. All systems are vulnerable to malware, viruses, and spyware. The simple fact is that you won't run into these issues if you're careful about how you use these devices. I haven't had an antivirus program installed on my computer or phone in the past five years, and I haven't run into a single virus in that time.

IcyBC likes this.
  11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My phone is updated with the latest iOS whenever it is available. It is good to know that I don't have to worry about installing virus software on my iPhone. Thank you!

12. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I am very careful about what I do on it, no banking, not many apps, no downloading, and barely search the internet. My phone is used for making phone call, text, and occasionally look up something when I don't have access to a computer.

Kyler likes this.
  13. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

You're good to go mate, your chance of actually getting a virus is virtually zero.

IcyBC likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think for a lot of people that do use the banking apps, they'll probably feel safer if they had some added form of protection but even then I don't really think it's necessary. Maybe for your own peace of mind but that's about all.

15. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I completely agree. I guess I've done it as well but really, it's a self conflict of what happens when I don't.

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's the thing about a lot of the security apps I think, if you break them down and actually look at what they do, it probably isn't really as secure as you first think, it's just the fact you know that they're there that gives you the peace of mind.

Kyler likes this.
  17. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

That is it! Peace of mind! After a few decades of using window, and I always have anti-virus software of some sort, I feel vulnerable without it. You all give me great information, and I will forget that now for the iPhone. On top of that, no one I knew who uses Apple products said they need anti-virus on their phones either. Thank you all!