Do you use cleaning apps?

Discussion in 'HTC' started by JoshK, Jul 16, 2015.

1. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The title is simple, do you use any cleaning apps?

I've tried a few cleaning apps and noticed they worked, but then I read a bit more into the one I was using (CMmaster) and the fact that they use alot of your data and sell it on, this made me uninstall the app straight away. I now use CCleaner, I've been using it on my computer for years and it's a very reputable tool and now I've found it on Android I've decided to use it and it does a real good job at cleaning out my phone.

Do you have any experiences with these apps?

2. Loading...

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

The only security app that I use is 360mobile, and that seems to be pretty reliable. A lot of the cleaning and security apps available, are often full of bloatware and will end up using more of your storage than what they clean.

I've never heard of these apps selling your personal information though to be honest, any app that was caught doing that would have an automatic ban from the play store so I wouldn't have thought it's worth them taking the risk.

4. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Well It was on another Android forum which I heard this, and people were skeptical as to why it asked for so many permissions and I think they looked into it to find it was a Chinese company behind the app which sold the details on.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When you look at the permissions of a lot of apps, you'll often wonder why they need access to some many features on your phone. If that is the case with this particular app, and your details are being sold, then I imagine that they will have been reported, and the app should have been taken off the app store already?

6. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I dont know the process of that, I only saw this on another forum that was saying that it was a Chinese company behind it and they are quite ruthless with your data. Not sure any proof behind that at all.

7. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I like CCleaner and I have used it for years too. I only download apps that I trust or after reading extensive reviews and did some researches about it. I check in with Cnet and TwoCows when I need something or want to download something.

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The thing with CCleaner is the amount of bloatware that they started to have on the app. A lot of people liked CCleaner when it first appeared, but recently it seems like it's added all sorts of features on there that people aren't interested in. Adverts pop up all the time, it lets you know what ranking your phone is in cleanliness, things like that instead of just sticking to the basics.

9. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Unfortunately though, with the majority of apps out there, they all have adverts and what not on there, or sponsored content etc. So even if it is a free app, you know their making their money through ad placements, so unless you root your phone I don't think there is a way to truly escape the ads (Unless you buy a premium version of the app for example)

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I only use App Cache Cleaner to clean the residual files from my phone and that's about it. SD Maid is also really good if you want a more in-depth app that can remove ALL the files that you don't need.

11. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Problem I'd find with a deep clean is that it may actually delete files I want to keep. I've noticed some programs that delete "duplicate" photo's are actually deleting any photo even if their is no duplicate.

12. sixxup

sixxup New Member

I never use such apps. How do they clean the phone? I doubt whether they can do their intended work. Any operational app that I can try out?

13. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

There's loads of cleaning apps around - Take a look on the Google Play store or look above for suggestions, for example you have Power Clean or CCleaner for example.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It doesn't do that. Well, at least for me it didn't and I didn't see anyone reporting that the app deleted some of their important files. It's a good app, you shouldn't worry about it.

15. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I know that they can though, that's why I always ensure that before I press clean, that its getting rid of legit cache etc and not 'duplicate' files or files that I want to keep

16. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I haven't use a cleaning app yet but I'm planning to do it, it's always good to have skittle extra space in your phone! My dad use CCleaner and he's really satisfied with it, it makes his phone a little bit more fast because it deletes a lot of unnecessary stuff.

17. Val

Val New Member

I have seen a couple of my peers use cleaning apps, however I've always wondered if they worked. I generally just close my apps in order to prevent extra data and battery usage. I am considering downloading one though as I hate when my phone is slow. Maybe closing my apps isn't enough to keep my phone going!

18. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

On a personal thought - They work in the same way that they work for your computer. For example when you open up your browser, you visit websites etc, your browser creates cache etc, when you close your browser, the cache is not deleted, you have to delete it your self or download a program such a CCleaner to do it for you. The same applies for phones.

19. Serena Claire

Serena Claire New Member

Yes, it helps to speed up phone and free space.