Do You Think It's Worth It To Buy A Used S2?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by Diane Lane, May 25, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've heard that the S3 and S4 aren't worth upgrading to from the S2, so I was wondering, if you had a limited budget, and were looking to get into the Samsung Galaxy market, would you bother to buy the S2, or is there something else that would be a better buy for around the same cost?

2. Loading...

3. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If I only need the phone for limited usage, such as making call, text, and take a photo now and then, I would, especially if it is cheap enough. I am looking on eBay for one at the moment so I can run the AppTrailers without killing my good phone :)

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

There are far better phones out there than the S2 at the same price point so I'd say no, it's not worth it. Look into sales for the LG G2, if you're willing to splurge ~180$ you're going to get a great phone.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

@IcyBC Yes, that's what I'd mainly be using it for, to access the internet via wifi, for money making, versus phone calls, unless the calls/texts were via wifi, since I don't want to pay for phone service.

@FuZyOn Thanks, I'll check into that. I'm looking to stay below that price point, since I wouldn't actually be using it for cell service, mainly for internet and calls/texts via apps/wifi.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If you're looking for a more basic device I recommend you take a look at the Moto G (3rd generation is on the way but the 2nd isn't bad) or the Moto E (2015- the same as Moto G 2nd Generation, you're just going to get more updates since it's a newer device).

7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

There are better phones for the price available. I suppose if you were absolutely set on a galaxy, but why? Are you looking for a basic device or is it a money thing?

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I'd also have to agree that the S2 is now an outraged device and there's a lot better available, at the same price and probably even cheaper now. The S2 was a good phone, don't get me wrong but when you look at how far phones have come, I wouldn't be purchasing one these days.

9. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

You shouldn't buy a used S2 or even a non used S2 because it has low RAM and it doesn't function well in the environment of apps recently. It isn't fast enough to function well at all and I would recommend you to invest your money in a Lenovo phone if you can't afford Samsung or whatnot. They offer loads of absolutely great phones with great specifications for a much lower price, check out "Lenovo Smartphones" on eBay.

10. sbatz72

sbatz72 Member

I think I might bother with the Samsung 2. I would of course rather have the S5. But, like you said some of us are on a budget.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

The S2 simply is not worth it even at a low price. You wont be able to use many current apps because of memory requirements. There are all kinds of lower priced smart phones that can handle so much more than an S2.

12. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

I agree! I have a Lenovo device currently, and I find that it suits all of my needs, despite having a really low price point! I bought it for about 90 dollars when I switched to a new carrier, and I don't regret either decision! The only thing that bugs me a lot about it is that it only has 1.8 GB of internal memory, and because it is on the worst Android version, 4.4, I can't install apps on the SD card, therefore I can only install the bare necessities.

13. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

@GlacialDoom Ouch! That storage issue would be really annoying! 1.8 Gig isn't much and not being able to store apps on the sd card would drive me nuts.

14. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I'm more looking at it for non-sim wifi use. I do a lot of low level promotion throughout the day, with tweets and retweets of my products, and don't need something expensive for that. I want portability around the house, so I don't have to carry a tablet with me everywhere. Also, the camera seems as if it would be better than what I've got on my tablet, which would be good for Instagram posting/promoting, and I like the size. If it can't handle recent apps, and if I were able to get something with similar specs, at a good price, the S2 might not be worth it, but my needs are probably different than what a lot of y'all look for, and I'm on a tight budget.

15. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom New Member

It really is annoying, but I've rooted my phone and installed an app which automatically moves the apps to the SD card. Otherwise, I am really happy with my current phone, in all the other aspects. It's not like I need more apps than Reddit, Facebook, Instagram and the occasional game...

16. theGIJST

theGIJST New Member

I think it is. It's a pretty solid phone, with very good specs, even for today's standards. The S3 is not that much better, and the S4 is pretty much a glorified version of S3. I wouldn't upgrade either, if I had an S2. I prefer the look of the S2, either way, to the one that the newer phones all seem to have. The camera is pretty good, and it can run most games smoothly. What more could you want.

Diane Lane likes this.