Did you ever buy a device from eBay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kyler, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Did you ever buy a device whether it be a tablet or a phone or a computer from an eBay seller? I'm interested because I see a lot of cheap devices on there and the specifications in comparison with popular brands is really low.

2. Loading...

3. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Be careful if buying tech through ebay as I've heard a lot of people are selling cheap Chinese knock-offs that are total tat.

I'm tempted to buy through ebay but the risk of getting a knock-off is putting a big barrier in the way. That being said I did buy a Sony PSP a few years ago and that seemed all genuine.

4. Aquar

Aquar New Member

I don't think I'd buy a phone or a computer on Ebay unless I had no other option as I've had a good deal just buying from third party sellers on Amazon. That being said I did buy a Game Boy Advance SP as I never did find mine and on the rare occasion I have used it it works great. The only thing it had was a cosmetic defect which was listed in the description. So I think video games/video games systems might be a safe bet.

5. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I bought two cheap phones from eBay when I was still very inexperience with buying online, and they both came straight from China, which were really a big mistake. Now when I search for something I made sure the sellers are in the US and the products are new with the option of returning. Since buyers are protected under eBay warranty, I am not very worried about it.

6. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I see. I think that makes a lot of sense, I will stay away from buying from Chinese sellers for now, just to be on the safe side really.

7. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I bought several cell phones and computers off of ebay. The netbooks were ok and lasted me a very long time. The cell phones however were knock offs and I got what I paid for. No warranty, and no chance of making it a full year fully operational. So if you are looking for serious tech, then it's best you go hands on in a reputable store.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I purchased some devices from eBay at reasonable prices and I always got quality products. I once got the wrong product but the seller was eager to refund me immediately.
    If you are choosing to purchase from good sellers you're not going to run into troubles.

9. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Absolutely. That has been the case with me, I've only been scammed ever once or twice really out of 30+ times, which is pretty good.

10. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've both bought and sold electronics on eBay, and have never had an issue. If you're buying a phone, check out the ESN/IMEI number, to make sure it's clean, https://swappa.com/esn, and always look into the seller's feedback, especially as a seller, and particularly for similar devices, so you can see how others have reported the transactions. If they're good sellers, you shouldn't have a problem, and if there is a problem, you can resolve it through eBay, even if they seller doesn't offer returns.

11. Brittney Stevens

Brittney Stevens New Member

I will advise you to only buy electronics from eBay from Americans. If you were to buy products from Asia or Europe, the quality of the products may not be up to your standards. I learned this from experience when I purchased a cheap Nook from China.

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

That's a good point. There's actually a selection you can make when doing a search, that specifies items only from the U.S. You can either do the basic search, then scroll down on the left side, and select U.S. only, or can select it initially, using the Advanced Search option. I buy from outside the U.S. when purchasing other items, so I wasn't even aware of that option, but a friend advised me, since he buys a lot of electronics, and doesn't want to take a chance on having a problem with an international seller. If you're outside of the U.S. you probably have the option to select sellers/items from your country only, as well.

13. Yosh

Yosh New Member

Depends on what you're looking for! Check reviews and the seller's feedback. Often you'd be okay, but sometimes people will try to scam you out of a few bucks. I've personally only ever bought gaming consoles on Ebay, or gaming related stuff. I've never had a bad experience, but I made sure to check the sellers feedback before I made any sort or purchase.

14. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Yes. I guess because of my fear I ended up buying from a shop close by, but I've heard on eBay a lot of them are real, like no need to worry because they have high percentage of good sellers.

Diane Lane likes this.
  15. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

@Kyler A lot of eBay sellers are established, and have been selling on there for years. Most are good people, selling either full time, or just trying to make a little money on the side. I've sold other electronics on there as well, and my buyers are always happy.

I'm careful when I'm buying anything costly on there, just because there are scammers. I'm glad that my recent case was settled in my favor by eBay, but even if it hadn't been, it was only a few dollars, and that seller has lost countless future sales to me, which should have been worth a lot more to him/her than the $2 sale they screwed me over on.

16. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

The thing is, I've encountered a lot of people where they said selling on eBay has been a really bad experience, buyers lie and there's even eBay lying about fees, claiming some items sold will be without a fee but then you end up paying a large fee to eBay just for selling one item that would be even bellow 50 dollars, I don't know what to think of that though. Did you experience such problems?

Diane Lane likes this.
  17. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

I've had a few issues over the years, but nothing major. About 3 years ago, I had an issue with a nasty seller who left me negative feedback when he either didn't send the item, or sent something that was misrepresented (I don't recall exactly now, but I was the buyer, and the problem was on his end.) I was really upset, because it ruined my perfect feedback. I asked eBay to strike the negative feedback, to no avail, so I stopped shopping there.

Fast forward a few years, and I had occasionally made purchases on there. I was considering selling on there again, but was still aggravated about the negative feedback, and that eBay hadn't scrubbed the inaccurate comment, so I commented about it on Twitter. Shortly after I made the comment, I got a tweet from an eBay customer service rep who asked me to email her the details of the transaction, and that she wanted to look into it. I did that, and she did a little research, saw that he had a history of leaving negative feedback, while I had great comments, so she deleted his comment, and my 100% feedback rating was restored. Since then, I have returned to selling on eBay occasionally, and continue to make purchases there pretty regularly. I've had 2 somewhat negative experiences since returning, and eBay has handled both of them professionally and promptly, so I really don't think you should be as concerned that they won't support you if there is a problem.

I'm not familiar with them saying there won't be fees, and I always expect fees, but if they said I wouldn't have to pay and then I did, I would be upset, and would address the issue with them. I have a shop on one site that only has final value fees, and I barely sell anything there. The reason eBay can command higher fees is that it's such a well known venue, and there's a greater chance you will sell your item there, or find what you're looking for there.

18. NicCris

NicCris New Member

There is a lot of uncertainty when purchasing a used device—particularly around whether it’s being sold legitimately. And many of the used phones sold on eBay have defects of some kind—a cracked screen, a broken button, a serious scratch, and so on. Not to mention the phones in good condition and perfectly functional; their "only" problem is that they have a "bad" or "blocked" network identification number.

19. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

No. I have never purchased anything from eBay yet whether it's a gadget or not. I think before buying stuff online, you should make a little bit of research first and also, you have to make sure that the person you are dealing with is reliable enough.

20. JoshK

JoshK Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

No - I've not bought any phones off eBay although when I was looking for my M9 I did have a look there as well as on Amazon but they were all about the same price of brand new so I decided to go and get mine from a mobile operator just so I know I was getting a proper deal.

Although my other half has bought her iPhone on eBay and has had no problem, it arrived on time and was what it said it was so I suppose it's down to each individual seller. It's best to go and buy from a seller who has good reputation and if on doubt then don't buy from them or ask them some questions about the item.

I've sold a few old blackberry's on eBay and have had no problems selling them. Nobody asked me questions about them or left negative feedback.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

21. JayWifi

JayWifi New Member

I never buy any devices on Ebay. Ebay has a reputation of being unreliable when selling electronics because sometimes you can end up with something different from what you ordered. I'd rather order off of amazon.