Closing iPhone Apps doesn't Speed up your iPhone

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnBeaulieu, Jul 1, 2015.

1. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

You don’t need to close iPhone apps by double tapping the home key and closing them. This is actually a list of recently used applications. Most of the items on it are not actually running in the background. They’re just stored so you can go back to them quickly. Your iPhone will automatically remove an app you aren’t using if it needs the memory space. If you remove them yourself you are actually slowing your phone down because it will have to completely reload the app when you go to use it. There are some apps that run in the background, but in a very limited way. These apps will continue to run even if you take them of the recently used item list. If you want to control apps that actually run in the background you can do it from Settings.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Huh, I never knew that before. I read somewhere that you are supposed to close the apps because then it keeps the apps running in the background. I'm glad to know that's not true though. I mean it's annoying using an app and then having to close out of it. I always used to do it for my boyfriends phone because he never gets rid of his apps once he's done using them. I will have to keep this in mind.

4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

This is the first time I read this and haven't heard it before! I was told to close the apps to save battery, not anything about running faster. What you said makes sense too and I can think it could be better to leave them running if you are going back to use the apps some times soon after, but if not, closing them won't hurt either!

5. Aquar

Aquar New Member

I close mine because when I do I am usually done using them for the day. If I don't, I find that my phone tends to be sluggish. It might be because I open so many apps on a regular basis though.

6. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

@Aquar I'm fairly certain that your phone being sluggish has a different cause. As I mentioned removing them from the list doesn't actually close them.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Wow I did not know this. I am actually guilty of closing the apps through the double click thing. And I even taught that to some of my friends lol. Now I have to tell them it is useless.

8. Aquar

Aquar New Member

The apps seem to run faster and the phone seems more responsive in general when I close them. I also wouldn't think there is any other cause unless it's because I don't clear my cache regularly enough. I have plenty of space no water damage and my phone works well otherwise. It just acts slower when I have so many open.

9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If you don't close the apps they will keep running in the background and drain your battery faster. This was told to me from the guy who fixed my cracked screen. Same thing with Android device because I had one before, and the manager at the store where I got my phone from, told me that too. If you don't use the apps, closing them will reserve your battery drainage. None of them said that it will make your phone runs faster! It still a good idea to close the apps if you are not using them though!

10. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

@IcyBC I hear different things from people all the time regarding this, which is why I don't know what to believe. I have heard from many articles that you should keep them up, because they are still running the background. For the past week I have left mine up, and I don't think that I have really noticed that my battery has been dying faster. I did hear that it's bad to delete the recent apps on your screen just because it hurts your battery. I'm not sure why, but that's another thing that I have read in an article.

11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

That is interesting to know about deleting the recent apps! Wonder how it can be bad? I guess we just have to pay close attention to our own phone to see what is happening to it if we do a certain thing. I just want my batter last longer and the phone runs fast! Is that too much to ask, haha :)

12. Danielle Davidson

Recognized Member

@lcyBC the reason is because when you close out of the app then it's shutting the whole app down. Then every time that you go to get back on it, it has to restart itself. So then your phone is working even harder at that point. I have talked about this on another forum and someone told me that it's not good because it drains your battery. Well I haven't noticed a huge change, and I see articles about this all the time. Haha, no it's not! Hopefully with the new update that will all happen.

13. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

The guy that told you that is wrong. Most techs that work on phones will tell you that, and they are wrong. It is a common misconception. They aren't actually running, it is just a recently used list. Removing them doesn't close them even if they are running in the background. It just pulls them out of that portion of memory and increases the loading time when you go back to them. You can control apps that actually run in the background from Settings.

14. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

So nothing that we do will prolong the battery life of the phone? I understand the cache when we open the apps, and if we didn't close them they will come up faster. Thank you for the tip about controlling the apps in Setting. I have lot to learn since I just switched from Android to iOS not too long ago.

15. Aquar

Aquar New Member

I wouldn't think there is any way to prolong our phones' battery life. That's just the way of the Iphone unfortunately. They have crappy batteries. The only thing you can really do is lower your brightness when you can and have the phone off when you're not using it.

16. hosewalker

hosewalker New Member

Thanks for the advice!, that's actually really helpful. I always close Iphone apps after i'm done using them out of habit but I might stop. It seems like a waste of time. Going into the control panel to change the apps that run in the background is also a good idea, I never would have thought to do that.

17. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yes, I lower the brightness on my phone or else it will blind me :) I don't run apps all the time and yes I still find the battery dies fast. Apple makes great products and they should work harder on the life of batteries, or give us a choice to buy a replacement battery.

18. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Interesting! I have always thought that my IPod runs faster if I close the apps that I'm not using... And it actually works for me a little bit, I have noticed that it runs faster if I close them, but I don't know if it's just me, but I'll keep that in mind.

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I'm not really that familiar with the iOS ecosystem but from what I know the Android platform closes applications in order to free up RAM, so there's no point in closing apps since your OS does that automatically when it needs more power.

20. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

It is the same for both. This post is good for Android, Windows and iOS mobile devices really.

21. JohnBeaulieu

Recognized Member

It's just perceived. Not real. If anything you are slowing your iPod down when you go to launch any of those apps the next time. As I tried to explain, clearing them from the recently used list isn't closing them.