Cheap Chinese Knock-offs

Discussion in 'Android Tablets' started by Nonn, May 8, 2015.

1. Nonn

Nonn New Member

Anyone have any good experience with these?

I'm thinking about ordering a knock-off tablet from a cheap Chinese wholesaler. Any tips when buying?

2. Loading...

3. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Nope. Don't do it. That's my tip. Flagship tablets from bona fide Chinese manufacturers are often fine, but if you're buying something that costs less than $100, then you're probably going to get a terrible device. It's easy to make the hardware sound great, but chances are high that you'll be getting a sluggish, poorly built device with bad battery life. I wouldn't go that route.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd like to second this, a lot of manufacturers these days will offer a decent budget range of devices, so there's really no need to go down the route of buying Chinese, knock offs as you called them.

For tablet devices, your better off sticking to the major manufacturers, you can find a lot of tablets on places like Amazon, for less than $150

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. anurag

anurag New Member

You get what you pay for! Only buy it if you want a temporary solution. These don't last that long, if they do at all.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think in the case of technology, you certainly get what you pay for. If you want a device that's going to do everything, get all the latest updates, with a decent build quality, then your going to have to pay for the privilege.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. MikeOh

MikeOh New Member

I agree on this one. If you can't afford the pricey ones, don't try to buy the knockoffs. Either buy something that's cheap but still you know the brand instead of the Chinese replica. If you want something really bad, you have to work for it.

8. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

I think China knockoffs are disposable phones. You use them for a while but do not expect them to last long. If I were you, I would just buy cheaper but known brand like LG or Asus. They have cheap but quality phones.

9. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

I disagree with what a lot of others are saying. I say, if you can find a cheap one and just want a working product, then go for it. Most of the branded products we have in America are made from China or Taiwan anyways. If Microsoft or whatever company orders 100,000 products from a Chinese company, they tend to make more than necessary due to product failure. Let's say they create 125,000 tablets. As expected, 5,000 of them doesn't work for whatever reason and they ship off the correct 100,000 to the company that ordered it. With 20,000 working devices left over, they sell them off as unbranded devices. It's essentially the same but doesn't have the brand and company warranty. A friend of mine bought a "knock-off" and it works fine. The only problem you have to keep an eye out for is that sometimes, you find one that is shipped with a Chinese version of windows. On the other hand, if you're unsure and willing to wait then there are sales for name brand tablets every once in a while. If you had to, order from a website with more accountability, like Ebay. You can always get a refund through them if your product is dead on arrival, even if the company refused to help you.

10. Techpreneur

Techpreneur New Member

Hello, I would rather disagree with everyone else and agree with Apex. Although the quality may not always be consistent, you're better off getting an off-brand simply because they won't have that ridiculous mark-up that products from companies like Apple have. Most people also tend to buy way more than they need. What you should ultimately be looking at is the support the particular tablet offers and go from there, not the price.

11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I bought a three cell phone from China and waited more than a month to get them. Upon arrival, the battery didn't work, so I have to wait for another month. Once when everything were put together, the phones worked for a month and that was the end of my nightmare. My suggestion is not to buy from China!

@ApexBlue made a valid point too, but you know the saying "you get what you paid for" and this always turns out right on the dot.