Can I Run Apps On An Android Phone Without SIM Card?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy' started by IcyBC, May 29, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

My old Android phone is still working just fine, and I was thinking of download some money making apps on it and use it for the purpose of money making. I don't have a SIM card for it, and of course I can buy the SIM adapter and put it in. Before I go out and buy it, I just want to know from you experience users out there, if I can download the apps using my own WIFI without a SIM card?

2. Loading...

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Yes, you can definitely download apps and use the phone just fine without a SIM card. Don't forget to turn on airplane mode since not having a SIM card is going to drain a lot of your battery (the phone is programmed to search for signal even if there's no SIM card inserted).

briannagodess and IcyBC like this.
  4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Thank you for your reply! I downloaded some apps, and they are on my phone, but I can't register with the app providers. It kept telling me that it failed. Oh well, I tried. I might need to get an adapter since I mainly use my iPhone.

5. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Absolutely you can. You don't really need a SIM card to even call people. You can call people using WiFi and downloading a few apps that will allow you to do so, which is pretty cool about android. I think that you can treat almost all modern smartphones the same, without the need of a SIM card. You can buy one as if it's a tablet. It's awesome.

IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I didn't know you can call without a SIM card until the guy at the phone store told me this too. Haven't tried it yet, but I will. My next phone will be Android as it has more apps too :)

Kyler likes this.
  7. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

You know, buying credits off of an application that would call using the internet connection is much more cheaper than an actual contract.

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I've had this same question, and didn't realize there was such a thing as a SIM adapter. I'll have to look into this, but I have a friend with a Samsung S2 who strictly uses it via wifi, with various apps, and hasn't had an issue.

IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

As it turned out the apps that I want to make money with, didn't work out for my old phone! I download the apps but can't do anything with them. I give up the idea! My phone must be ancient relic!

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

You might be able to buy one that's not quite as old, used, on eBay, and still be able to make some money using it. I don't have any old phones here anymore, but hope to get one in the future, so I can try making a little money. I don't think I could do what people have mentioned, something about leaving videos running on extra phones, while they're off doing other things, but I know there must be some way I could use an older phone to make some money.

11. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

No, not me either, @Diane Lane ,running the app all the time like that will just kill any machine or devices. In the end though, I am not quite sure to make life more complicated than it is now. It is nice to be able to make some money, but in my case, the money I made went out to something else before I even get to smell it :) Something always comes up!

Diane Lane likes this.
  12. Diane Lane

Recognized Member

Haha, I know what you mean. I always seem to be playing catch up, as there is always something coming up that detracts from getting ahead. Any time I get a little extra money, it goes to supplies, advertisement or fees for the shops, or to replace things around here that have broken, or need to be repaired or replaced before they do break. Hopefully someday, we'll be able to actually catch our breath, and get ahead ;).

IcyBC likes this.
  13. briannagodess

briannagodess Member

Oh thank you for the little tip! I use my phone without a sim but I do not put it on airplane mode. I did not know that it still searches for signal even without a sim. That is probably why my battery is not that long lasting.

As for the original poster, yes you can use your phone without a sim! I do and it works fine. I download apps using wifi and also use the internet with it. I have a separate phone just for texting.

Diane Lane likes this.
  14. emily

emily Visitor
    Visitor

15. Kayden Chambers

Kayden Chambers Visitor
    Visitor

Doesn't airplane mode turn off Wifi?