Biggest Difference(s) Between iPhone 5 and 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hunkydoire, May 10, 2015.

1. hunkydoire

hunkydoire New Member

I'm not a huge Apple user anymore, so forgive me if I do not use the proper lingo...my mother has an iPhone 5, and it works just fine for her. She uses facebook, checks her email, uses her bank app, etc. But...she is easily swayed by salespeople and keeps telling me that she is going to buy the iPhone 6. For someone like her who really doesn't need multiple tech-y apps running at once, and has a phone that already is nice and suits her needs, do you think she would really notice much of a difference with the 6?

I'm not implying that my mother is ignorant or anything, I just don't want to see her waste her money on something that has extra features that she probably won't even use.

2. TitanDolphin1

TitanDolphin1 New Member

There isn't too big of difference between the two phones. The iPhone 6 has a better camera that can shoot photos with optical image stabilization while the iPhone 5 doesn't have that which makes taking pictures while moving pretty difficult. The next difference is the size and shape I don't think I have to explain much more because by just looking at the phones you can tell. The one problem with the iPhone 6 is that it's pretty sleek which is a bit of problem if you don't have tight grip since it's going to fall out of your hands a lot.

3. cazo26

cazo26 New Member

As much as I love the iPhone I would genuinely not buy the new version every time a new one came out. They might just change a little thing and then they go on and add hundreds of dollars for maybe a slightly larger screen. For example the 4s and the 5s. I had my 4s for a few years before it broke down and then I bought the 5s but in all honesty there are one or two differences but nothing mega that I could actually note other the the screen size. Maybe more people would have a better idea who are really interested in things like that but I feel for someone who only cares about having the ''newest'' model it really is a bit of a waste of money in my opinion.....

4. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have the iPhone 5 and it does what I wanted to do! I don't need a new phone any time soon, (knock on wood). If your mom wants to pamper herself with the iPhone 6, let her! You just take her iPhone 5 and re-sell it and give her the money. Or use it yourself :) Win win!

5. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

There honestly isn't a huge difference between the 5 and 6 besides the size of the phone and the touch pad, which is what draws most of the people in to buy the phone. The camera will be better on the 6 because every time that a new iPhone is made, they have a better camera. The 6 also has retina HD display which many people, like myself, love. The screen so much clearer which is great because then it's easier to see things. The processing chip is also bigger in the 6, it has an A8 instead of an A7. It also has apple pay, which is basically where you can put your credit card information onto your phone and then pay for things you need from your phone at a store. I wouldn't recommend doing that though, someone could hack Apple and then they could get your credit card information. And lastly, the 6 has a better battery life than the 5 does. I would honestly say though, if your mom, doesn't care about that stuff, then she shouldn't have to buy it. It's just little tweaks with these new phones, nothing more. She could keep using the 5 and be fine. She may want to consider replacing it though if she wants new updates because soon she may not be able to get new updates.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

With what you've mentioned the device will be used for, I wouldn't have thought the iPhone6 will be any better than what she's using now to be honest. If it was a question of changing from a 3 to a 6 then fair enough, it probably would be advisable to upgrade but for what she's using now, I'd stick to what she's got already because the 6 will be a waste of money.

7. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

There are significant differences between just a 5 and a 5s, so yes I would say that a 6 is significant upgrade over the 5. That said, unless there are new features that she specifically needs there is no reason to shell out extra money to upgrade. If a free or very very low cost upgrade is available though, why not?

8. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I think that rule will apply to most people. The amount of phones that companies are bringing out these days and the speed aswell, people aren't going to be able to buy a brand new device every 6 month so you need to consider what you use the device for, and what features you'll need and use in a newer model.

If the answer is you can do without an upgrade for now, then it's probably best to wait until a device comes out that you will benefit from.