At 190 dollars is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Other Android Phones' started by Serpes, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Serpes

Serpes New Member

The Amazon Fire Phone sells now for 190 dollars. That is not bad considering the specs and features. But I am curious. Are those niftytricks such as Firefly, Mayday and Dynamic Perspective worth it?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Serpes
      Replies:
      Views:

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

$190 is certainly a very good price considering how much phone you actually get. I do have to wonder though, why the Amazon fire hasn't been as popular as many people, including Amazon themselves have thought it would be.

Amazon have done everthing they can to promote this phone as an alternative to the well established brands such as Apple and HTC, and we all know when Amazon promote something, it normally does very well. This though has failed to live up to expectations so I'd have to question exactly why it's now being sold pretty cheaply when the price of its rivals as stayed the same.

4. Serpes

Serpes New Member

It does not necessarily mean that it’s a bad phone no? If it wasn’t successful amongst clients. I don’t think they promoted it as aggressive as Apple or Samsung do. But maybe it’s in our best interest. Same quality at a lower price? That could be a deal.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Your certainly right when you say the popularity of a device has no reflection on how good it is. The market at the moment is dominated by Apple, Samsung and HTC and so the Amazon fire was always going to be up against it when it came to sales.

Unfortunately this time I think the sales figures might have got it right. I've only played with the phone a few times and I found it tricky to use, it's android but not as we know it, it's definitely got a odd way of doing things and I found it a bit confusing to get to grips with. The other thing I noticed is, unsurprisingly it's VERY Amazon orientated. For me I'd be disappointed with the phone and although it looks a good deal on paper, compare it to the other phones, and for not much more money, you can get a much better phone than this.

Just my opinion of course...

6. devinametallic

devinametallic New Member

I was unaware Amazon even had their own phone! I'm waiting for some reviews so I can make a choice for a new phone! LOL

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

There's a few reviews knocking around in the internet, I won't post on here because I'm not sure if links are allowed but they're easy enough to find for yourself anyway.

Like I said in my previous post though, while some people might like the phone, I'd be very wary about buying one to be honest. Unless you rely on Amazon for pretty much everything you do as it seems this is the market it's aimed at.

8. Smokey

Smokey New Member

For practically $200, you can get a much better phone on contract, running either pure android or a nicer skinned version of it, such as the HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S6 or even the Nexus 6 n some carriers. It's not worth it in my opinion. I had the chance to play around with he fire phone and it was laughably horrible and so user-unfriendly.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I certainly don't think the user interface helps the phone, reminds me a little of the BlackBerry Z10 when that first came out. It's like they're looking for a way to make the phone a bit unique and different to the rest.

And in fairness they have, just not for the better though...

Smokey likes this.
  10. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Sometimes being 'different' isn't a good thing IMO. I recall that Ubuntu phone having a god awful interface as well. Sounds like a cool concept on paper, but fails in reality.

11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Oh definitely! While there's nothing wrong with being different and unique at all, at the same time it's got to actually work and do a decent enough job aswell.

And sadly this didn't for me...

But the fact still remains, you'll be getting a practically brand new smartphone, very cheap so like I said it might be worth trying out just in case it does suit you.

Smokey likes this.
  12. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

The Fire Phone is a steal at $200 unlocked, but the phone's failures aren't hard to figure out. Nobody wanted another device with 3D features, and Amazon's mobile OS is incredibly lacking. You can't even get basic Google services, and the Amazon AppStore has a fraction of the apps of Google Play or Apple's App Store. Everyone that follows the mobile device industry knew the Fire Phone would fail, even with the included year of Amazon Prime and price drop. Amazon's a great company at tablets (and everything else it does), but it's a miserable failure with phones.

Sales figures on the Fire Phone have been so low that Amazon has all but stopped talking about the device.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

It's hard to see where Amazon went wrong for me to be honest. They have enough experience in the industry to know what people want, but yet they stuck with their own format. And in my opinion failed miserably.

Take the Amazon fire for the $200 and use it till you decide what other phone you want, and then trade it in because the trade in value will still be quite high I would have thought.

teamxxlp likes this.
  14. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

Fire OS is fine for tablets, but smartphone users want and expect Google Play/Google services. The Fire Phone is a more than decent device, especially at $200, but the OS is a deal breaker for so many potential users, even those within Amazon's ecosystem.

The best thing you can do with the Fire Phone is root it, customize it with a ROM, and then you'll have a phone that's one of the best deals at $200 right now.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I also guess if your a massive fan of the kindle then this might also be worth looking at? Like I've already said though, its not for me, not even at that price I don't think.

16. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member

I understand completely. It's not my cup of tea either. It's a solid phone that requires a lot of work to get it onto a better ROM and everything. Amazon is great with tablets, but its phone effort has fallen flat so far. Fire OS just doesn't work as well with the Fire Phone, and that's going to be the biggest obstacle for any Amazon smartphone.

17. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

And that's probably the worst thing Amazon did. Stick with their own OS instead of going down the android route.

With sales of the kindle fire at a record all time high, you can see their logic, but like you say, a tablet is one thing, a smartphone is a whole different ball game.

18. Smokey

Smokey New Member

I agree but is it $190 all the time or on contract? Because you can get something like the S6 or HTC One M9 for roughly $200 on contract or some cases, even free so it's hard to really justify the purchase if that's the price only 'on-contract'. If you can simply go to amazon.com and purchase the phone for that price, then yeah I don't see any harm in trying it out. :)

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'd be interested in knowing that aswell because I don't think I've seen the fire phone on sale that cheap anywhere, not even from Amazon.

I'm assuming that is the case though because 190 is a lot to pay if your tied into a contract aswell.

20. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

21. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The phones are getting cheaper and cheaper and are being sold with a lot of special offers. While this is obviously a good thing, it does make me wonder why?

Are Amazon just having a promotion push on the device to bump up the sales, or are they looking at bringing out a newer updated phone and they're just trying to offload the stock of this version?