Are you buying wearable tech?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Industry Post, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Industry Post

Industry Post New Member

I don't think I'll be buying any wearable tech until the technology develops more. I actually want the new Hololens from Microsoft, but that'll probably be unaffordable. Do you own any wearable tech? What do you think of the latest wearable tech craze?

2. Loading...

3. Kyler

Kyler Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

I think wearable tech might be a little bit uncomfortable on my skin but also I think it's very expensive that a person like me wouldn't be able to afford it haha. I think that it's not such a bad technology but with smartphones in our pockets and computers in our house, why would we need an extra wearable tech? I don't see it as a reasonable thing if you own all these things, that you would actually spend more money on a smaller wearable device.

4. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

It's just a fad. Vanity makes a lot of money. These tech companies are counting on you to make purchases based on vanity. You always have to wear the latest trends and fashion. They are counting on it.

5. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

I completely agree. It makes sense why so many brands rise up when a new product is manufactured or gets released, it's just a dilemma. I personally don't like it being that way because there's far more important things to invest/save your money for. If people can afford buying these wear tech products when they don't need it, they also can afford donating a little bit of money to organizations that will help needy people, like people in Africa.

6. Rubik1

Rubik1 New Member

I agree completely, the apple watches are insanely over priced and are just trying to get money out of people with too much pride in apple and too much money.

7. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think I will be buying any wearable tech as I don't really see the point of it personally. A phone now does everything I need it to do and has pretty much made wearing a watch obsolete for me what with the super accurate time displays on the phone.

So yeah, wearable tech is a no for me.

Kyler likes this.
  8. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Exactly, thank God that there are people who understand my thoughts, like you. I always thought today people are inventing unnecessary technology, more just because they want to boast of whatever new non-existent product on the market that they've invented, I think it's a waste of time, money and energy for sure.

9. Rubik1

Rubik1 New Member

I completely agree. I hate people who just buy the new thing just because it's new, people should learn to see what products are like before purchase and buy things because of necessity not just to show off.

10. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

Absolutely. It's a bit sad though because a lot of the money that is being spent could go for much more important stuff. There's a lot of things that we don't need when it comes to buying electronics. For example, I own two desktop computers and a laptop, just because I used to upgrade a lot in the past, which I'm guilty of. Now I don't even use most of them, I think of myself as being stupid of that moment.

11. Aquar

Aquar New Member

Yeah being cheap isn't always a smart move either though. I own two desktops as well. I had less money to spend at the time so that's why the first was purchased but the one I am using now was only 100 or 200 dollars more and in the long run it was definitely a better use of my money.

12. Kyler

Kyler Active Member

That's right. I'm glad you actually realize that and you know, it's very similar to investing your money in whatever is out there.

13. carlymarley

carlymarley New Member

No. My phone and computer are enough technology. I don't need to wear it. It seems like a waste of money. People love to spend their money and people love technology and people love to wear things that make them look/feel high class. I'm not really trying to dress like a robot.

14. joshposh

joshposh Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

The sad truth is people are going to buy it anyways for brownie points. Regardless if they need it or not, they are going to buy based on status. Then next year we are going to have the "S" version, and they are going to have to upgrade to that. It never ends people.

15. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

This, sadly.

People will jump on the latest thing, regardless of it's use, as long as it can give them some social status points. Kind of amusing to see people throwing money away on something they don't need just so they can be with the in-crowd, rather than spend it on something that can actually be of use to them and something they need.

16. DukeMadThane

DukeMadThane New Member

I might consider buying wearable tech at a later time once the kinks are worked out. I have seen some that look neat, anyway. Of course, if they don't work, then looking neat isn't terribly relevant.

17. vegito12

vegito12 New Member

I have seen it and, would try it out but not buy it as the cost is high and not really needed unless you need it for the game you are playing and also a interesting technology as well. The companies will be making the money and also, some people will wake up and see it is not really needed and also just something which is costly and also not worthe the time. I reckon that, people should think what the costs are and also not just throw money away for something which will be forgotten next year which will be sad.

18. japanesewaterbottle

japanesewaterbottle New Member

I don't think wearable tech is something that will catch on anytime soon. The wearables just don't provide anything that smart phones can't. I'm not going to buy them until they become reasonably cheap.

19. Miaka_M

Miaka_M Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

If you're referring to something like the iwatch, then I don't think that I'd be getting something like that. The idea is pretty neat, but it basically combines a watch and a phone - something that has already been done. This is why we have a phone with a clock on it. For example, one feature of viewing images, I could just do that on my phone or ipad, its nothing new. I'll be sticking to my normal MK watch just fine and invest the $500 somewhere else.

20. japanesewaterbottle

japanesewaterbottle New Member

I guess some people really will buy wearable tech for social status or brownie points, though. I still don't think that they're practical or that they will stick around for the long term.

21. Susimi

Susimi Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I don't think so either. It might be the latest fad for a while but I can't really see this stuff taking off at all. I mean a lot of what all this wearable stuff does, a phone can do already so I can't see the point in at all.