Apps for Windows Tablets

Discussion in 'Windows Tablets' started by Diane Lane, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

Many years ago, I had 2 windows smart phones, but back then there weren't many apps that would work on the devices. I loved the other features, but unfortunately, many didn't function due to the network I was on not working well in the area where I lived. I know that was the issue, because I had friends in other parts of the U.S. who had no problem on that same network with the same devices.

Now that there are windows tablets, and also more windows smart phones, have a variety of apps been developed that function well on the Windows system devices?

IcyBC likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. IcyBC

IcyBC Recognized Member
    Recognized Member

I have not own a window tablet or phone before although I was tempted to get one. I figure I am so used to window operating system, having a phone is just fantastic. Things didn't work out that way for me, I couldn't afford it, and the iPhone 5 kind of falling into my lap, so I decided to spend $100 dollars having the screen replaced rather than spending $500 that I don't have.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. run2live

run2live New Member

As much as I adore my Windows tablet/convertible, I cannot stand the Windows Store. Microsoft offers very little of the expected range we get from iTunes and Google Play, and I often find myself reaching for my Android phone to use an app I can't find on the tablet. I prefer the mobile user experience to websites in most cases, but I'd rather type on a big keyboard. So, I find myself frustrated with Microsoft.

5. ApexBlue

ApexBlue New Member

I own a Windows tablet and I can agree with run2live. You won't find very many good apps if you look through the windows store. Sure, a lot of the big named games made it through, but there's still something to be desired. My biggest problem with it currently is that there is no Youtube app. It's a hassle having to bring up a browser and manually navigating to a Youtube video when my phone can do it so easily. Besides that, they kind of function as a slow moving PC, at least mine does. But combine it with a blue tooth keyboard and mouse and it's much more functional than an Android device. Overall, I'd say they're still worth it. Consider it future proofing because even if you have a bad device, you still have a PC at your fingertips. And it's Microsoft. They're going to try and compete with Android and Apple.

6. teamxxlp

teamxxlp Active Member
    Staff Member Senior Member

Microsoft announced months ago that it's streamlining the porting process for Android and iOS apps over to Windows. That should help the lack of apps in the Windows Store in the coming months. Otherwise, Windows tablets that run full Windows 8.1 can download programs and accomplish far more than most mobile operating systems, so I would consider that a win no matter what.